PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon Online Classes

drak24
03-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Hi, I'm pretty much a traditional artist. I do a lot of illustrations, but my main focus is character creation. I'm interested in starting the online classes at gnomon but I'm not sure what order I should be taking them. I do know that I should be starting off with "Introduction to 3D with Maya" but after that, I'm not sure what's the next step. Can anyone give me a layout on the order I should be taking the courses and whether or not it would be wise to take more than one course at a time? Thanks.

drak24
03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Ok so after reviewing the site even more, I think I've come up with what my classes will be. Altogether it will take me 70 weeks to complete unless I take more classes at a time. Right now I have it set up for 2 classes for ever 10 week period. I work full time, getting home at around 7pm and I usually hit the bed around 11-12pm. Do you think it would be wise to take on 3 classes for every 10 week period vs 2? I'm not sure if I'll have the free time to do so. But here is the list, if there's anything you think i should switch around, feel free to comment.

-Intro to 3D with Maya
-Texture Mapping 1

-Polygon Modeling 1
-Lighting and Rendering

-Polygon Modeling 2
-Digital Sculpting

-Creating 2D textures for 3D art
-Photoshop for Digital Production

-Animation and Visual Effects
-3D texture painting

-Character Kinematics
-Maya cloth, hair and fur

-Character Skinning
-Dynamic Effects (Don't know about this one since one of the prerequisites is intro to composition, which I don't believe is an online class.

kwynn
03-04-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm currently taking the Intro to 3D with Maya class from Gnomon Online. I also work full time. There are several hours of video lectures you'll need to watch every week. Lectures are posted first thing Saturday and assignments are due by Friday night. Some weeks I've had a hard time getting through all the video's by Friday night if I didn't have a chance to watch them on the weekend.

When you turn in an assignment you get a video critique on it from the instructor. So far those critiques have been the best part of the class for me. I don't know if it's just the class I'm currently in or what but there is zero class/instructor participation in the class forums. I prefer the online format where everyone posts assignments to a general forum so you can see others work and they can critique your work. I learn a lot more that way.

Homework is going to be dependent on the types of projects you pick for yourself. Like you have to do a room over the first few weeks. If you pick a room that is very challenging you'll have to spend a lot more hours on it. I try to pick rooms that are within my skill set with a few challenges but also something I know I can complete within the time frame. In addition to doing the room you have to do additional side homework so you usually have two assignments due.

If you are able to watch the lectures on the weekends then you might be able to handle two classes at a time. I think 3 classes might really be pushing it. Personally I'd advise taking the intro class and seeing how it goes and if you feel like you had enough time to then bump it up to two classes at a time after that.

Hope that helps.

KillahPriest
03-04-2010, 05:03 AM
I'm currently taking the Intro to 3D with Maya class from Gnomon Online. I also work full time. There are several hours of video lectures you'll need to watch every week. Lectures are posted first thing Saturday and assignments are due by Friday night. Some weeks I've had a hard time getting through all the video's by Friday night if I didn't have a chance to watch them on the weekend.

When you turn in an assignment you get a video critique on it from the instructor. So far those critiques have been the best part of the class for me. I don't know if it's just the class I'm currently in or what but there is zero class/instructor participation in the class forums. I prefer the online format where everyone posts assignments to a general forum so you can see others work and they can critique your work. I learn a lot more that way.

It was like this with their master class. Over 2 months they had maybe 20 posts total. It's very much a solo effort.

drak24
03-04-2010, 06:35 AM
@Denise: Thanks for the insight. My weekends are usually free so I guess that 2 classes at a time should work out for me. I guess professor critique is better than none at all so I guess that's good, but I agree it would be nice to get insight from others. I guess posting your projects after completion to some regular cg forums would probably give some great constructive criticism so that's always an option. But overall it seems to be more or less what I expected.

I'm hoping that after completion of all those courses, I would have a skillset as good or close to those who actually attended the school in Cali.

dpendleton
03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
They don't teach 3D MAX do they? Anybody know of any videos that focus on 3Dmax?

drak24
03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
They don't teach 3D MAX do they? Anybody know of any videos that focus on 3Dmax?

no they dont. but i believe they have dvd tutorials for 3dS

kenlyl
05-26-2010, 07:04 AM
I am thinking about taking the gnomon online courses, but don't have a copy of Maya. Did all of you already have copies of the software, or were you able to purchase the educational version using your registration in the Gnomon classes?

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2010, 07:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.