PDA

View Full Version : delet hisory to get quicker moving rig? i loose weight data and clusters!

Prevenge
03-03-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm setting up a farily complex rig with all the bells and whistles, clusters, Ik splines, tons of constraints and connections and blendshapes.

when i'm finished setting up, just moving anything or adjusting a blendshape is unacceptably slow on my machine, so.. i delete history.

this causes the skin to become unbound, and deletes clusters etc..
plus erases my mesh's joint weights data

but when i rebind the skin.. everything moves nice and fast..when i move ik handles it's as smooth as, say.. a video game.. and great for animating. it's not computing all the history of my final adjustments to the polys or rig..

my question is this..
how do i cleanup the history on guy so that i can move him nice and smoothly and all unnecessary history is GONE... but WITHOut having to re-bind the skin and loosing the clusters on the ik splines etc..

i've tried delete non-deformer history.. it stays very slow after doing that... only all history has helped. but with more problems obviously

this is a deal breaker for me if i cant get this working.. there's got to be a way..
could anyone out there explain to me what's going on a bit?

thanks.

berniebernie
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm setting up a farily complex rig with all the bells and whistles, clusters, Ik splines, tons of constraints and connections and blendshapes.

that seems to be a problem... What kind of 'slow' deformers do you use (I'm thinking more along the lines of a wire deformer/wrap) how dense is your mesh (think about using a low-poly version for animation with an option to see the hipoly mesh)

JockeP
03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Delete history on your mesh before you skin it.

mlefevre
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
It all depends on how it's setup, so this might not work but,

Duplicate the mesh.
Bind the duplicate to the same joints.
Select the original mesh, then duplicate.
Go to Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Copy Skin Weights
Adjust the settings if needed, then transfer the weights to your duplicate mesh.
Both mesh should have the same weight data now.
Delete history the original mesh.
Rebind it, then copy the weights from duplicate to the original.
Then setup your blendshapes etc.

Good luck!

Remi
03-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Deleted, need to read the thread first before posting so I don't sound like an idiot.

Darksuit
03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
It will also depend on how much of the mesh you are attempt to blendshape as well
a typical cheat for the head for instance. Is to detach the head. Do you blends for jus tthe head. When you weight the head and the section that attaches to the neck, Weight them to the same value say a value of 1.0 to the head joint. Uusally if the cut is right were the head and neck meet, you should not have an issues even if there is a seem.

But as stated above the typical thing for me to do at least is:

Clean the mesh before you start rigging.
Create Blend shapes But do not apply them.
Make any final modifications and clean the mesh again.
Layout the bones and do Test bindings to check pivots for the Joints.
Clean the Skeleton, remove any Non uniform scales and such.
Bind the Mesh.
Create the Base Rig
Check Heirarchy
Add Blend Shapes
Check Stability
Add anything additional

In between each step I save. I save often.

Prevenge
03-06-2010, 01:20 AM
My main concern now is this..
I have all myirrored (lef and right) blenshapes for every asect of my detatched "face" geometry of my character.
Is there a method to apply all the blendshapes tothe face geoetry. Then merge that face with the body...then be able to delete history of all the point merges... And keeping the resulting mesh clean and workable...because I always end up with not being able to get rid of the final point merge nodes in hypergraph.
Thanks for your help guys

Prevenge
03-06-2010, 01:26 AM
One other option I entertaining is welding a body to every "face" blendshapes I have and then use those as blendshapes for the finalcomplete body of my guy (he's naked)... Then erase blendshape data fror every vert on the body except where it's active on the face.Is this ghe only choice I have at my disposal time-wise?

Also... Is there a 'sew' method where I might ew the border edges of my "face" geometry to my "body" geometry in a cohesive fashion where both base and blend resultant meshes may be congruent in their bled shape application?
PleAse respond soon for I have limited time.
Thank you guys

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2010, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.