PDA

View Full Version : Rigging shirt laces

TBone2008
03-03-2010, 12:29 AM
How would you go about rigging the shirt add-ons: hippie-threads on the lower part, and the laces on top ?

Darksuit
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
This really depends on a couple things.

1. How much time do you have.
2. What is it used for.
3. How close or far away is the camera from the object to be rendered.

Those are some good questions to start off with to understand what you need and how it might be accomplished. There are several different ways to get this done, its just a matter of figuring out what will work best for you.

TBone2008
03-03-2010, 05:01 PM
it's medium shot to the shirt, and close ups to the upper laces.
the character is seating.
if I just rig it regularly, the lower threads will bend in with the seating, which is wrong.
the upper laces needs move a little with his turning upper body.
I want to avoid collision calculations.

Darksuit
03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
If you want to avoid collision detection, you are basically down to a few options.

option 1. Use bones and either hand animate with an IK Spline setup or an FK setup. The latter being much more time to animate.

option 2. Create blend shapes for the movement that you want.

option 3. Use A deformer such as a cluster or lattice to move the objects around.

If you want the fringe to flop and dangle it would take a bit more setup but you would instead use A IK Spline setup being driven by a hair folicle node. This takes a bit more time to setup, and it would require some collision detection as its a dynamic. But the result would be more fluid.

Really it does come down to how much work you want to put into it. That said. If this is being used for other than an animation, ie still shot, game, or ?? that will limit what you can do or it. In the case of a still shot, it may be better just to scuplt things into place.

TBone2008
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
there's not too much motion so I think lattice, as my first thought, might be best here.
so, I would rig it and then add the lattice ?!

can you explain more about the "A IK Spline setup being driven by a hair folicle node." ?
it sounds very intresting, not sure I got the workflow though (and I assume you refer to Rivet)

Darksuit
03-03-2010, 09:25 PM
so an IK spline is Driven by a CV Curve. Just as a hair folice is as well. What you would be doing, and this is just theory at this point. Is to create the IK spline then create the hair node and use the CV cruve generated by the IK Spline for the hair. This would give the hair a dynamic action and it would control the IK chain as well. This again is just theory. It might take some expermentation to work the kinks out. Other people may have already tried this as well.

I'd do small scale experiments first to see what works and what problems would be incurred.

TBone2008
03-03-2010, 10:20 PM
thanks..will do a test

so far, I rigged without the laces. which I thoguht to pin using Rivet to the shirt

TBone2008
03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
so I rigged the laces and added a lattice.
how do I make the lattice follow the rigged laces ?

verbatimline
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
group the lattice and the lattice base shape ( right beside it in the hypergraph) and move them in tandem.

Darksuit
03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
you can also Parent the lattice to the Shirt or the bone that precedes the Shirt lace in the heirarchy.

TBone2008
03-05-2010, 01:00 AM
thanks, I did all the steps except grouping, so it didnt follow through correctly before

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2010, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.