PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette for the beginners

redpandafire
03-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi, I'm really interested in learning to draw silhouettes to better communicate my character art (to myself and others) before I go all-in and start sketching the details.

I apologize if this topic has been discussed a trillion times and the veterans are ready to tell me to use the F***ing search button, but I did a search and all I found was this thread that was already closed: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=255442&highlight=silhouette

I also have limited art knowledge, never had courses, and I dont even know if what Im after is even called a silhouette. Please look at this Dominance War results page, and notice the thumbnail'ish silhouette'ish preliminary drawings that each artist makes at the bottom of their respective pages:

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/finals/main1.html

How do I begin to comprehend that?

Thanks.

Lunatique
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Silhouettes are interesting because you are dealing solely with shapes and nothing else. It's the most simplified form of visual communication possible because it does not involve values or colors or lines or textures--just strictly solid shapes. Therefore, at this most basic level, how do you make your shapes interesting, and how do you communicate as much as you can without ever involving any other aspects of visual communication? Think about the various attributes of shape--curves, straight edges, sharp angles, thin, wide, long, short, complex, simple...etc. If yo take any image of an object or character or animal and then fill the whole thing in black, it becomes very apparent and very quickly that which aspects of its contour contributes to the identity and personality of the object/character/animal, and which aspects actually creates confusion and does the opposite. If the object/creature has movable parts, can moving some of the parts create a clearer contour? How about simply changing the angle so show some aspects of the contour that makes the overall shape read better?

That closed thread was started by me, and it's been greatly expanded with a lot more depth and much wider range of associated topics, and is now one of the sections of my workshop (linked in my signature). The workshop is now full and will be commencing in a few days, but it's very likely I'll run it again as soon as early June this year (but this is tentative, so please don't hold me to it until it's actually announced officially).

redpandafire
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
If yo take any image of an object or character or animal and then fill the whole thing in black, it becomes very apparent and very quickly that which aspects of its contour contributes to the identity and personality of the object/character/animal, and which aspects actually creates confusion and does the opposite.

Great tip. Although I'm thinking at some point this may get a little subjective, since what I see as one thing, the rest of the world may not. I'm hoping to play around with this idea a lot more. Thanks for the starting point.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.