PDA

View Full Version : Audio visual production/framerates, etc...

Lexalotacus
03-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Hey everyone,

Im producing/directing an audio visual production called LOCUS. I was wondering some things about frame rates and exporting video from After Effects. We're going to be running audio and video off a macbook pro and I wanted to make sure I was running an optimal framerate for it.
I guess my question is this: Does a slower framerate (say 20 fps) produce more smooth and reliable playback than a higher framerate (say 29.97)?

We need things to run absolutely smooth given that the musicians will be playing along with the projected video to a backing track with a metronome via in ear monitors. Im not absolutely sure how to run the video but I know the projector I have at home always tells me 800x600 is the best resolution for it so we were going to shoot for that or something similar.

Anyhow, just hoping to get some expert feedback or anything at all... will be appreciated! Thanks a ton in advance!

Mylenium
03-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Does a slower framerate (say 20 fps) produce more smooth and reliable playback than a higher framerate (say 29.97)?

No. And to answer your second, implied question, too: Work at standard resolutions using standard frame rates. Specific compressions such as H.264 are optimized toward that as are similarly player softwares. By working with non-compliant resolutions and frame rates you only forfeit these optimizations and playback is guaranteed to stutter. So in short: Work in HD 720p. Any other issues with fitting the content on screen and so on will be taken care of by the player software and your computer's full screen mode.

Mylenium

scrimski
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Does a slower framerate (say 20 fps) produce more smooth and reliable playback than a higher framerate (say 29.97)?Actually it's quite the opposite. The lower the framerate the blockier the motion will be. You may get away with even 15 fps but the difference to let's say 25 fps is noticeable.

Lexalotacus
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the responses gentlemen,

So would it be in my best interest to do HD 720 @ 24 frames per second then? Using H264 compression with stereo audio?

Thanks again :beer:

scrimski
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
What do need the output for? Further editing? Web? DVD?

Mylenium
03-03-2010, 05:47 AM
So would it be in my best interest to do HD 720 @ 24 frames per second then? Using H264 compression with stereo audio?

Yes, for final delivery and playback, that would be pretty much be the best option. Though I would actually check the projectors' specs first. You may need to provide a higher frame rate to avoid additional conversions the projector may do by itself and also reduce flicker.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2010, 05:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.