PDA

View Full Version : FBX export ruins skinning data

Defonten
03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi!

I'm kinda stuck here.. how do I properly export animated character to max 2010 so char's skinning data remains correct? I try exporting it as FBX, (checked bake animation) and everything looks ok but it ruins my skinning..

Please help!

Darksuit
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
typically in the past when i have had skinning issues with FBX is was due to overlapping UV layouts on export. When I had everything laid out with no overlapping UVs I had fewer problems.

That said.

Back in earlier verision of Max (4 and 5) there was Specific Code in Max to skew numbers on skin cluster data, rotation and scale values of objects. This was hard coded into max on export to any format other than a .max format. I saw this repeatedly when exporting to .gmax and other formats. Not just once but Hundreds of times, I opened bug tickets on it. To be told my my lead engineer that this was something specificly done in Max to discourage exporting to other formats.

You may want to look into Collada (.DAE) format, there are some nice things that are being done with the format.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.