PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me some tips for binding mocap skeletons to a mesh in maya?

FluidEdge
03-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I've got some mocap bvh clips (just simple samples like walks, runs, fall over etc) which i can import to maya perfectly. I click play and see the skeleton moving etc.

I have a female mesh in a T-Pose that I want to bind to these mocaped skeletons.

At the moment I'm scaling the mesh to the best size I can to fit the proportions of the skeleton and then rotating bones of the skeleton on frame 1 to match the contours of the mesh as best I can.

Then I smooth skin bind, hit rewind and play and the poor girl looks like she's just been in a car accident - dislocated shoulders, ankles bending the wrong way etc. I know it'll need paint weighting and thats fine, but the "default pose" is so wrong that any amount of painting isn't going to make this character look good.

What am I doing so wrong?! :thumbsup:

exhibitx
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, i don't know how others have done it but for me i usually write a quick script that direct connect the mocap rig to the rig in maya. You could use constraints as well. Make sure the mocap rig and the maya rig have the same joint hierarchy.

shinyprem
03-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi..!
At the moment I'm scaling the mesh to the best size I can to fit the proportions of the skeleton and then rotating bones of the skeleton on frame 1 to match the contours of the mesh as best I can.
I think this is where you go wrong. You need to make a new setup exclusively for the character.
Rgds,

rBrady
03-02-2010, 01:37 AM
I have done that before and its fairly tricky. You have to pad all your constraints or you end up with crazy artifacts. I ended up with three full rigs, the mcap rig, the animation rig, and the final rig. I built constraints with weights so you could build overrides and offsets. Then I also inserted some offsets into the mocap rig. Feet proved the hardest. You don't really need to match the number of joints. I did a full spine with every vertebrae driven off 2 joints. It was awful, but you can make it work. I recommend motionbuilder if you can.

FluidEdge
03-02-2010, 11:09 AM
wow sounds tough :s

What about duplicating the mocap skeleton, zeroing the joints (which zero out perfectly to a t-pose) then matching the tpose skeleton with the mesh then retargeting the animation to the dummy skeleton?

would that work?

mlager8
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Is it an impossibility for you to use motionbuilder? The problem is the the mocap data needs to be retargeted to your existing skeleton, not simply driven by constraining the two, I use motinbuilder to do all my corrections then save as an fbx, when I import to Maya it simply updates my bones with te data rather that briging a while new skeleton in. If mb is not an option there is a free solver plugin called peel solver that essentially does the retageting insde of maya, haven't used it in a while but ts available over on highend... I mean creativecrash

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.