PDA

View Full Version : Masters in 3d games modelling

coachsta
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey

I am a 3rd year university student studying Bsc Computer Games Design in the UK and am looking to do a masters, ideally i would like to study in the USA but have little knowledge of the better colleges/universities for this, having tried to search for the course myself and being miserably unsuccessful :( i was hoping someone with any knowledge could enlighten me :D

Thanks

Rob

danshewan
02-27-2010, 10:08 PM
First of all, I'd be amazed if any reputable educational establishment anywhere would even offer a Master's in modeling for games. The very idea of such a thing is pretty ridiculous, if you think about it.

Second of all, even if you did find such a course, odds are that any studio in America could find sufficiently capable domestic talent, severely reducing your chances of finding a job at an American studio after you graduate. I'm sure someone, somewhere, got a job offer from outside the United States without any experience, but that guy is probably the only one and it probably didn't happen recently, given the economic climate and the current state of the game development industry.

Questions like this pop up from time to time, and they always come off the same way - British / European student wants to either stay in education because they're scared of trying to find a job, or they think that merely studying in the United States is a way 'in' to working there, which isn't often the case, given the intricacies of US immigration policy and the sheer number of talented, experienced artists already in America looking for work.

Maybe this isn't your intention, and I'm sorry if I come off as brusque, but seriously - a Master's in modeling for games? Even if a college offered this as a course, who do you think you'd be impressing? Some of the most talented game artists working in the industry today are self-taught. Waving a Master's degree around only shows you can commit to a course of study - nothing else.

Seriously, dude - finish your course, put together an ass-kicking portfolio and start applying for jobs.

coachsta
02-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your feedback

I am part of Staffordshire university and they do offer a Masters degree in 3d computer games modelling. I understand where your coming from with the whole trying to get 'in' to working there, however my main motivation for studying over in the states is that i love to play basketball, and playing in the ncaa would be a fantastic opportunity for me to get alot better, i also love america and the chance to be there for a year (or two as i understand masters courses are in usa) would be great.

As an ideal after finishing a 'masters' i would like tot work in the states for the above reasons, but understand your side of things.

As you know the industry is so cut throat at the moment that having a masters degree would give me a leg up on someone that had only a degree, providing we were of similar abilities.

I will put together an "ass-kicking portfolio" and apply for jobs when i finish my degree but it seems that i could be out of work for a while due to the said state of the industry

Dare-o
02-28-2010, 08:34 PM
As you know the industry is so cut throat at the moment that having a masters degree would give me a leg up on someone that had only a degree, providing we were of similar abilities.

I cant see having a masters in modeling would help your chances at all, maybe a tiny bit. If you were to have a masters in Traditional arts like sculpting or painting, then I can see that giving you a 1 up over everyone else at your level.

It's all about your demo reel, not your education.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2010, 08:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.