PDA

View Full Version : Vue 8 renderspeed

kaggen
02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi!

I've just upgraded from Vue 6 Infinite (6.60) to Vue 8 infinite (now 8.4) and for some reason the rendering seems very slow. I did a test using two sample scenes that comes with Vue. One is the good old "windmill" scene/animation from way back (Vue 3?), and the relative new "peaking through" to measure render times and this is what i got:

"Windmills" (just first frame in animation, Preset render quality: final, 640x332):
Vue 8: 1.08 minutes
Vue 6: 0.36 minutes

"Peaking Through" with setting 'as is':
Vue 8: 4.15 - 4.27 minutes
Vue 6: 3.05 - 3.14 minutes

The quality of the "windmill" scene i think was better in Vue 8. Better antialising. The reflection of the lake however was different. vue 6 seemed to have more reflection.

The quality of the "Peaking Through" was better in Vue 6 i think. If you look at the clouds upper left, the Vue 8 clouds seems more "flat" than Vue 6. Yu can test render these scenes yourselfes if you want. They come with Vue 8 and 6.

So... to the point of this post.
Whats the cause of the increased rendertimes? The setting should be the same since i didn't alter them differently but just loaded them 'as is' from the sample files. Are there any settings that is *on* "default" in Vue 8 that didn't exist in Vue 6? Is there anyway i can render similar scenes with Vue 6 rendertimes in Vue 8 without loosing quality, or is this something i have to accept due to more complex software?

phamarus
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi!

I've just upgraded from Vue 6 Infinite (6.60) to Vue 8 infinite (now 8.4) and for some reason the rendering seems very slow. I did a test using two sample scenes that comes with Vue. One is the good old "windmill" scene/animation from way back (Vue 3?), and the relative new "peaking through" to measure render times and this is what i got:

"Windmills" (just first frame in animation, Preset render quality: final, 640x332):
Vue 8: 1.08 minutes
Vue 6: 0.36 minutes

"Peaking Through" with setting 'as is':
Vue 8: 4.15 - 4.27 minutes
Vue 6: 3.05 - 3.14 minutes

The quality of the "windmill" scene i think was better in Vue 8. Better antialising. The reflection of the lake however was different. vue 6 seemed to have more reflection.

The quality of the "Peaking Through" was better in Vue 6 i think. If you look at the clouds upper left, the Vue 8 clouds seems more "flat" than Vue 6. Yu can test render these scenes yourselfes if you want. They come with Vue 8 and 6.

So... to the point of this post.
Whats the cause of the increased rendertimes? The setting should be the same since i didn't alter them differently but just loaded them 'as is' from the sample files. Are there any settings that is *on* "default" in Vue 8 that didn't exist in Vue 6? Is there anyway i can render similar scenes with Vue 6 rendertimes in Vue 8 without loosing quality, or is this something i have to accept due to more complex software?

I think you should keep in mind that the spectral layers in vue 8 are newer and having
a more advanced algorithms I guess, and therefore it might be slower.

I agree with you that the old spectral layers for spectral clouds look much better in vue 6
than in vue 8..and that was a little dissapointment to see with the new vue versions..it
might be that it should be tweaked in the settings to be able to match the old look..but
even so..if one starts with adding spectral cloud layers in the new versions they do look
to bright and flat..missing shadow or opacity strength.

Michael

SzLaszlo
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi

I try EonVue8 with 2 PC ( very simple scene )
First try a old iP4 2.4 Ghz ( 32bit) : 4200 sec.
,and iQuad8200 ( 4cores and 64bit ) : 990 sec.

ONLY 4.2 x multiplier ?? Why ? I can't understand :(

László

InfernalDarkness
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I try EonVue8 with 2 PC ( very simple scene )
First try a old iP4 2.4 Ghz ( 32bit) : 4200 sec.
,and iQuad8200 ( 4cores and 64bit ) : 990 sec.

ONLY 4.2 x multiplier ?? Why ? I can't understand :(

Going from 1 core to 4 should yield exactly that. You're lucky you got the .2, honestly.

64-bit only means that your application can access more RAM. It has nothing to do directly with rendering speed.

SzLaszlo
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Going from 1 core to 4 should yield exactly that. You're lucky you got the .2, honestly.

64-bit only means that your application can access more RAM. It has nothing to do directly with rendering speed.

Hi,

I work in linux - blender ,indigo render ,lux render .
64bit render is 60-75% faster ( at 32bit )

and

My old (?) pc AMD Athlon64 3Ghz _64bit.
If I change the iQuad8200 ,the render multiple 10-12 x !
The iP4 2.4Ghz not stronger at the Athlon64 3Ghz.

László

nPellegrino
03-20-2010, 06:55 AM
The render presets have changed since version 6, the final preset has different quality settings.

You would need to load the preset file as a user setting and match it up to get the most accurate test.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2010, 06:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.