PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP shuffle

gmask
09-03-2003, 01:37 AM
Okay so I'm trying to switch over to me new Dual Xeon systemafrom my old Dual AMD system and I was thinking.. hey I'll just put the old boot drive in the new system.. WRONG! It starts to boot but then it hits a AMDAGP file and restarts.

So I guess my question is is it possible to overcome this or should I just blow over the old XP install? I'll have to reinstall some apps but it's better than nothing I supose.

JDex
09-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Clean wipe gmask... there are ways (so I hear) but really a clean wipe will result in a happier system.

Congrats on the new system...

gmask
09-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by JDex
Clean wipe gmask... there are ways (so I hear) but really a clean wipe will result in a happier system.

Congrats on the new system...

Another tip.. never buy ram off ebay!.. it ain't worth it.. anyway I finally got good ram today from Crucial.. they are my new ram supplier.. I will trust no other.

stephen2002
09-03-2003, 01:46 AM
The drivers will be all messed up. Just moving the driver over really only works if there have been minimal hardware modifications.

You will have to do a clean install.

JDex
09-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by gmask
Another tip.. never buy ram off ebay!.. it ain't worth it.. anyway I finally got good ram today from Crucial.. they are my new ram supplier.. I will trust no other.

Crucial is good, so are OCZ and Corsair... but sticking with Crucial is not a bad thing.

Grosserfrosch
09-03-2003, 01:49 AM
put in your XP Pro disk and reboot.

hit whatever key to make it go to setup

Choose install

Choose to fix previous install.

This will reinstall system drivers and such and will save you a lot of time.

Don't choose the repair option on the first page. Choose the Repair on the install page instead.

gmask
09-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Grosserfrosch
Choose to fix previous install.

This will reinstall system drivers and such and will save you a lot of time.

That's what I'm doing now.. I had been thinking about a clean install before but I just want to ge tthe system up and runnign and I'll do that sometime down the road.

System stats

Dual Xeon 2.6 GHZ 266 FSB
Tyan Tiger S2668
4x512mb pc2100 RAM in dual bus banks
PNY FX1000
9gb Ultra SCSI Seagate boot
18gb Ultra SCSI Seagate work drive
4gb Ultra SCSI Seagate font drive
60gb EIDE maxtor fileshare drive
100 gb EIDE Western Digital in a firewire enclosure
NEC Multisync FE2111sb Black
SGI Mouse Light Grey
SGI Japanese Keyboard Dark Grey
Skull Mousepad
Office depot chair, desk and wrist pad...etc

GregHess
09-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Just know the system won't run at max performance/stability until you wipe and reinstall.

Windows is incapable of fully dealing with a transistion between two chipsets. If you get crashes, sluggish feel, random issues or little quirks...its most likely due to the previous install poking its head out...then actual hardware issues.

gmask
09-03-2003, 02:25 AM
>>> If you get crashes, sluggish feel, random issues or little quirks...its most likely due to the previous install poking its head out...then actual hardware issues.

Since I use Internet Explorer I can count on these kind of errors most of the time anyway just by surfing a few webpages.. anyway.. I made it through the phone activation..yippee!

elvis
09-03-2003, 05:56 AM
i too will voice my support for the clean install option. never in all my years of PC bulding and upgrading have i seen a system happily upgrade major components and perform at 100% of it's potential.

a day's downtime for a good backup and clean install is far less painful than the months following an upgrade without doing so.

dvornik
09-03-2003, 06:11 AM
meee tooo, meee tooo...

gmask
09-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Okay so I'm gonna bite the bullet and do a fresh install today..

My question in in what order should I install the various drivers??

I was thinking..

Install windows XP
Update windows XP from internet
Install drivers from Tyan
Install SCSI card driver
Install sound card driver
Install firewire card driver
Install FX1000 driver

Sound good?

GregHess
09-04-2003, 09:17 PM
You may have to install the scsi driver using F6 during the OS install. (If its not a driver built into the OS).

So make sure to have the driver available on floppy in case you need it.

Aearon
09-04-2003, 09:27 PM
you should also install the latest intel application accelerator and inf installer as early as possible (don't use the version tyan supplied)

gmask
09-05-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by GregHess
You may have to install the scsi driver using F6 during the OS install. (If its not a driver built into the OS).

So make sure to have the driver available on floppy in case you need it.

Yeah it's included.. it's a popular adaptec dual bus card.

gmask
09-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by fist
you should also install the latest intel application accelerator and inf installer as early as possible (don't use the version tyan supplied)

Yup.. I already downloaded the newest one from tyan.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.