PDA

View Full Version : Changing the duration of a layer

custardtart
02-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I've imported my animation as tiff files from maya into AE and I need each layer to last 1 frame, but when I change the duration using the current time on the timeline to 0:00:00:01 and then sequence them, what should be a 17sec animation sequence is almost double length. I can't seem to change the duration to anything smaller. What am I doing wrong?

Iaenic
02-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I suppose the first thing you could try rather than importing the images seperatly and then sequencing them as layers, is to select the first image and select the checkmark button marked "Image Sequence" in the import dialog. Then right click the footage, select interpret footage, and then set the framerate from Maya.

Unless i'm completely misunderstanding the question, that should fix it.

suztv
03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Yes - import your images as a "sequence" into After Effects. Once you have them in you should be able to interpret the fps etc by selecting said sequence in the project window and pressing ctrl-I or command-I on the Mac. If the sequence is still off it might be that you have doubled your frames unintentionally.

I would check the render that you set out of Maya and make sure that the number of frames per second correlates to what you want in AfterEffects. At 30 fps you should only have 510 frames for 17 seconds - if it's 1020 then you need to re-render from Maya at 30 fps etc.

Mylenium
03-03-2010, 06:43 AM
What am I doing wrong?

You are going about this the wrong way. As the others said, import as a sequence rather than a million individual files. If ever, the method you use would only be useful for image sequences e.g. for timelapse footage where different durations need to be corrected. when you import as sequence, verify the frame rate of the footage via footage interpretation and also make sure the comp frame rate matches.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2010, 06:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.