PDA

View Full Version : VFS vs VanArts vs Sheridan - Character Animation

firewireflow
02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I am coming from a motion design background (mostly 2D) and lately I am more and more interested in 3D Animation, especially 3D Character Animation.

Now I am in the process of picking a school to attend to and would love to hear your opinion.

Apparently VFS is the top of the top but I think the duration of 6 month for the Character Animation course is a bummer. I don't believe this enough time to really dive into that field. VanArts and Sheridan on the other side offer 1 year programs which makes more sense to me. It would be great to get some comments from graduates of VanArts or Sheridan.

Another thing is my current 3D knowledge. I am a self thought C4D user, which is great for Motion Graphics. I have basic modeling skills and right now I am teaching myself organic modeling and Zbrush sculpting. I learnt a lot already but within hours, days and weeks of starting over my character I realized that this is not what I want to do. My heart beats for animation. This is what I want to do. I am aware that I need to know about modeling, weighting and rigging but in the end all I want to be is an Animator.

I guess to learn maya is essential but it is just a tool. My C4D knowledge just needs to be translated to another software, right?

I'd love to hear your suggestions, comments and opinions to this situation.

http://www.florianherweg.com

joecyriac
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I went to the one year course at VFS, and rented an apartment with a student of the 6 month course.

In my experience, the focus of the DCA Program is almost entirely animation. Basic knowledge of Maya is highly recommended. There were students who went in without any knowledge of animation or Maya as a software, but the people who got the most out of the course were those who had some rudimentary knowledge, at the very least, about Maya and animation. The course is very intensive and it helps if you decide what your goals are in advance. If your focus is animation, I'd suggest you start with the basics, familiarise yourself with the principles of motion and start working with Maya. It should be easy enough if you're familiar with C4D. It helps if you have some story ideas.

Hope this helps.

Zoober
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
If you can afford it, apply to all three and go visit the campuses and the schools. All three are great schools and I work with people from each one of them. Your success in the programs is almost completely reliant on your own effort. Having passionate classmates and teachers is usually luck of the draw, no matter where you go.

Consider Animation Mentor too if Char. Animation is your goal.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.