PDA

View Full Version : Building a Rig for After Effects (PC or MAC)

RobertoOrtiz
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey guys,
My boss has given the green light for us to build a rig for After Effects and 3D rendering.

We recently delivered a killer video that just opened a LOT of doors here at work.

Since we are a MAC shop my boss wants configurations for Both PC (since I am a PC guy) and Mac.

Any suggestions?

-R

Iaenic
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm not entirely sure mine would be the best build; someone else might have a better industry-suitable setup in mind. But, my (biased) PC rig would be:

Windows 7
Core i7 975 Processor
Not sure on a good workstation motherboard. I got a Asus Rampage II extreme for a home build, and I'm happy with it. But I'm not sure how "professional" it is since I chose it for both work and gaming.
12 gigs of ram or more. (You can go up to 24 with 6 slots nowadays, but those kits are still super expensive)
A solid state drive for C:/
Decent Nvidia card. For just after effects I would choose a gaming card with decent specs, for also doing 3D, maybe a quadro. ATI cards used to have occasional artifacts with OpenGL with After Effects. I'm not sure if that is still an issue, I tend to disable OpenGL regardless.

RobertoOrtiz
03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.

How about any blade based systems? (PC and Mac)
My tech people are reading your comments.

And here is a question from them:

Is there an advantage to using an xsan storage vs regular raid array other than cost?

-R

Iaenic
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Happy to help. Sorry about my suggestions being more weighted towards the "prosumer" category than studio industry. As for storage, I think someone else will have to answer that one. I don't know nearly enough on the topic, though I will ask around and post what I learn if no one else touches on it. I know some people that work with both that I can harass for info. :D

omnidecay
03-07-2010, 11:40 AM
And here is a question from them:

Is there an advantage to using an xsan storage vs regular raid array other than cost?

-R

No there is not. One of the reasons xsan is so fast is because they use a fiber cable for data transfers. You can easily build a simple raid array with a fiber card in it and achieve the exact same thing. I don't know if this is a plus or not but you can also use a linux based operating system to install on your pc array. I know its a very common thing if not the standard for effects houses to use linux on their farms.

RobertoOrtiz
03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all your earlier comments.
Ok I got my marching orders...
The system has to Mac based (not my idea, I have not dranked the coolaid)
and under 10K
It will be used for content creation and rendering for After Effects and Lightave .

(I have no say so other this, If I could I would buy a PC)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

EDIT;
here is the system we had the specs for:
Mac Pro
$9,849.00

Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon32GB (8x4GB)None
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/sNone
2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MBOne 18x SuperDriveNone

-R

Iaenic
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM
The specs look good, but a single video card would suffice with After Effects. I'm not sure if Lightwave has any benefit to SLI, but as far as I know After Effects doesnt get a performance boost from the extra card.

RobertoOrtiz
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey guys,

I heard that Apple is about to release some new Mac pro systems.

Any news on that front?

-R

Iaenic
03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't normally keep up on the apple news, but i'm sure it will be great. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZS8HqOGTbA

Sybexmed
04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm also wondering the same thing, i just upgraded from a dual core 2.56ghz with 4gb to a 64bit system with an i7 920 with 9GB and a GTX260 and i haven't noticed any speed increase..

Cerium
04-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon32GB (8x4GB)None
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/sNone
2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MBOne 18x SuperDriveNone

-R

In my experience hard drives will slow you down more than anything else. Since the Mac Pro has four slots for drives I would consider:

1: Anything for system/boot
2-3: Two 1tb drives RAID 0
4: 2tb drive for backup of RAID

That way you have separation of system and storage (good) as well as a quick place to work and a place to keep your data a bit safer.

At least have two drives. That way if you ever need a little speed boost you can play the copy between drives game. Eg: Save project on drive 1, render to drive 2, compress back to drive 1.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2010, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.