PDA

View Full Version : Matchmove fighter jet fly over

Ortix
02-26-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi Guys!

I am currently a senior in high school and me and my friends are making a very ambitious movie. We have already gotten LOTS of support and are working hard on our movie Project IRIS. www.projectirismovie.com for more info!

In any case, I have got several questions regarding the logistics of shooting this film.

I am using the following gear btw:
Panasonic AG-HMC70
Boujou
AE CS4
Pr CS4
3ds Max 2009

1. I want to shoot a night scene in the woods of cops running with a k9 dog (yes we actualy got them to work with us :D). I've been told to film it during the day and make sure the sky is not visible and then add a night filter. Good idea?

2. I want to have this epic pov shot after one of the main characters experiences an explosion. She is in total shock and everything is blurry. She then looks up and see a fighter jet fly by and then it gets shot down by a missile.

Here's the thing with numero duo. I have no real experience with 3ds max, compositing and all that crap. I am doing this project out of pure fun and as a learning experience. I have however followed Video CoPilot's tut called The Bullet on how to make and animate a 3D bullet so i do know some stuff.

So my MAIN concern is the fighter jet. Cause she looks up to a probably overcast sky... how am i going to match move that without tracking points? Also... I can't seem to find a useable 3d model of a fighter jet, and buying a model is not an option.

Anyone have any idea how to approach this seemingly impossible task?

Help will be GREATLY appreciated!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

jayantraj
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
if ur camera is moving a lot & u have no point to track in sky then it's tought, but let me see the screen shot of footage then may be i can help u with that

Ortix
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
i actually gave up on that. Thanks for your interest tho!

There was indeed no tracking point whatsoever in the sky and i couldn't find a suitable model -__-...

Now i'm just worrying about cg-ing the explosions into the battlefield and then color grading the footage.

djivesp
03-25-2010, 12:56 AM
you coullld make it look plausible with just a still pic of the underside of a jet, it would have to be cunningly done though to not make the viewer doubt, but perhaps it's a good thing you changed your mind as this is quite a mission - it's pretty much impossible to track a sky and even if you did, the parralax would need accounting for - it's a job to be done manually.

for the night time shots, yep - it's silly to shoot at night as the footage will be grainy, it will be very difficult to get the focussing right too.
Best is to shoot on an overcast day where there is no direct light and shadows. Diffuse highlights on people and shadows will ruin the effect.
So you want - light but not sunlight. No highlights or reflections on people, shiny objects and definately no shadows.

explosions are pretty tough to get right - they tend to look cheap if it's anything less than perfect, but motion blur and lots of panicky camera movement can divert the viewers attention enough to make it sell.

Make sure to film at 50 fps, fast shutter speed (at least 1/60th) and aperture as small as possible to lessen depth of field as you need sharpness to get a good track for adding the CG elements in :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2010, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.