PDA

View Full Version : hidden objects and playback speed

VM
02-25-2010, 11:27 PM
hi
I always wondered if there is a way to have maya not take into account the objects that are hidden, in order to achieve faster playback. for example, if I have a scene that runs at 12 fps and I hide evvvvverrrrythinnnng.... it will still play at around 12 fps, maybe a little faster. what's up with this? and along the same line, can I get maya to not read animation data? like if I have 2 rigs in a scene and I want to cancel one, in order for the other to run fast...
I was thinking I might be able to do it with referencing different versions of the rig, but it's still not ideal, especially if you have not 2, but 200 rigs... and you want to edit animation on one of them... ideally, it would be great if I could have a switch on the rig that would stop maya from computing it.
any ideas?

KielFiggins
02-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Try using Display layers instead of the individual object visibilites.

VM
02-26-2010, 09:47 PM
hehe, thanks, I didn't use maya in a while and I forgot about this, but it looks like I had max playback speed locked to real time... so I was expecting 60 fps playback with all the objects hidden, but it was around 24.... :D and I was thinking the speed only grew from around 16-20 to around 24... silly me :D so in fact, hiding objects, with both visibility and layers, does work. yeeey :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2010, 09:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.