PDA

View Full Version : openEXR auto sort

soupman99
02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm working with EXR files and was wondering if there was a way to automate the separation of my passes without having to manually duplicate the layer each time and setup the EXtractoR plugin for each new pass in the file.

Is that possible?

Mylenium
02-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Nope. Custom UI controls = no automation. Or in otehr words: Except for the custom code in Extractor, there is no way to even "see" the channels in any other way, so this couldn't work.

Mylenium

Iaenic
02-25-2010, 06:41 PM
You could use ProEXR from here: http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/
It's pretty cheap and it's handy to have around. Once installed, you can select the .exr in your project window and select "Create ProEXR Layer Comps" from the file menu. It will create the composition for you and split all the layers out. I don't think it sets the blend modes however.

soupman99
02-25-2010, 06:53 PM
yeah, now that I'm playing around with my EXR i realized I dont know what blendmode to set my passes so that I get the final image I see in maya.

Does anyone have a link that explains what stack order and blend mode to use for pass layer?

Mylenium
02-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Just look up any generic multipass tutorials. There certainly must be one for Maya out there, but I definitely remember a quite extensive one for Lightwave somewhere. You won't find a general formula, as it all depends what look you prefer and, more importantly, how the programs generated and stored the pixel data in the first place. Due to different shading models, different blending modes and different individual opacities may need to be used. Generally you will want to use Add for Specular highlights, Multiply for Shadows and Overlay, Add or Screen for reflections...

Mylenium

3DRenderer
03-24-2010, 04:50 AM
You could use ProEXR from here: http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/
It's pretty cheap and it's handy to have around. Once installed, you can select the .exr in your project window and select "Create ProEXR Layer Comps" from the file menu. It will create the composition for you and split all the layers out. I don't think it sets the blend modes however.

I have AECS4 and is suppose to ProEXR is suppose to come with that installed. For whatever reason I dont see anything saying "Create ProEXR Layer Comp"...?

Mylenium
03-24-2010, 06:49 AM
For whatever reason I dont see anything saying "Create ProEXR Layer Comp"...?

Nor should you... This is correct. ProEXR contains additional plug-ins for AE and Photoshop, but CS4 only inherited the fnord EXR loader and EXtractoR. For everything else you still need to pony up those 99 bucks.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2010, 06:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.