PDA

View Full Version : LW to vue 8 texture problem

michy
02-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Hi,

Im currently working on an architectural structure with various textures (e.g. wood, concrete etc). I edited the images in photoshop and saved it as a jpg image. I then mapped the images onto my structure in LW. The textures worked perfectly fine in lightwave, but when I imported the LW scene into vue 8 infinte, some of the textures looked stretched, while some were being repeated (because the tiling is on 'repeat' by default).

However, after i've changed the tiling of the textures individually to 'once', and mapping to 'automatic', some of the textures shrunk and cld only cover a small area of the model, while some remained stretched. I tried scaling the textures and image scale proportionately, but it didn't solve the problem. Has anyone faced similar problems or knows the right way to do it? kindly advise me on this cos im new to vue.

thanks!

bruno021
02-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Textures have to stay on repeat or mirror, if on "once", they only appear once on the surface of the object.
Try setting all your materials to "obnjcet parametric" mapping coordinates. This should work, but set textures back to Repeat before.

michy
03-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the constructive reply!

I've tried using the settings you suggested. Initially, the texture was oversized.

i managed to align the top and bottom of the texture to the edges of the structure by adjusting the scale (0.7), and image offset X (-0.02), Y (-0.2).

Btw, is this how it is supposed to be? Do I have to scale all the textures in my scene individually (bearing in mind that they might each have a diff scale) each time i bring a LW scene into vue? Because in LW, all I need to do is hit the 'automatic sizing' button.

bruno021
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
No, textures using object parametric coordinates shouldn't need to be resized/offset, but apparently, textures imported from LW have more problems than other apps, or formats. Don't ask me why...

michy
03-02-2010, 12:48 AM
hmm..guess it can't be helped then. thanks alot for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2010, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.