PDA

View Full Version : LAPTOP deals for professionals in "UK"

ukdesigner
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
There have been many places to get laptops from in USA on this site, but can someone please help me find a decent reliable Laptop provider in the UK Please?

I am a professional animator and do the occasional modelling mainly in XSI / 3D Max and am not as wise as most when it comes to the technical hardware side of things?

Ive been told to get this i7 Chip by many, but am also wondering about the other bits n pieces Id need to go with it? What sort of price range would I need to spend to get a quality laptop for working on please?

Any help very appreciated!
Thankyou. :)

biliousfrog
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
It's been said a hundred times but only get a laptop if you absolutely cannot work on a desktop, especially if you're expecting to render with it.

I can recommend http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

I can't talk of the mobile i7's but the desktop ones are very good...but you're probably just as well going for a dual core processor as most processes (apart from rendering) are single-threaded.

Look for dedicated graphics card, Nvidia seem to be more reliable in most 3d apps, and 3-4gb RAM.

ukdesigner
02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, but im not looking for a Desktop at all and I already have a beautiful setup on my current one, but now I am travelling and need to keep working which is why I am only looking for a laptop.

You think that i7 is as good as a decent dual core processor then? How do grapics cards go as in laptops too? Is there a paticular make/brand to look for in the machine? A certain memory min?

Thanks again.

ukdesigner
02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
A quick look on the site you gave me found me this...

Acer Aspire 5940G Core i7 Laptop

£999

Processor - Intel Core i7 720QM / 1.6 GHz ( Quad-Core )
RAM - 4 GB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive - 500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Screen - 15.6' TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) - CineCrystal
Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 HyperMemory up to 2816MB
Bluetooth - Yes
Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1 Megapixel
Warranty - 1 year warranty
Im not keen on spending anything more than this tbh.
The screens pretty small :(

What would you change from these thigns please?

al-rssam
03-01-2010, 03:32 AM
hi..
i think you can buy directly from the makers wepsites
IMHO lenovo is the best choise for you ,i've got the W500 , it has an ATI fireGL GPU and T9600 CPU, i think it's perfect for modeling but not for rendering

the W700ds from lenovo as well is the best machine you can get ever! , it has dual monitor, wacom digitizer,nvedia quadro GPU,dual HDD and Quad core processor !!

http://www.lenovovision.com/lv2/mediaplayer.php?fid=thinkpad_w700&locale=en-gb

good luck:)

jibbaJabba
03-02-2010, 09:59 PM
You could try the Dell outlet site - they have great deals on 3d laptops and are ALOT cheaper than their `standard` prices. I picked up my precision laptop for almost half price (iirc) and was high spec at the time. If you don't already know about it - I believe the machines are new or as good as (sent back to dell unused) but you'd have to check. Mine came with full 3 year warranty which included on site engineer (which I've just made use of bagging myself a new gfx card and lcd for free!) ..

Check them out..Happy shopping.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2010, 09:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.