PDA

View Full Version : Stressing over a Normal map

STEVONATRON
02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi

I've hit a horrible situation with a normal map that I'm exporting from Zbrush 3 to 3ds Max, and with my limited knowledge of this practice, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Basically, the model with the normal map applied in Max looks pretty awful compared to the model in Zbrush. All the definition, all the detail; it's pretty much turned into a mashie ugly mess.

I've followed word-for-word any tutorial I've been able to get my hands on and Googled for anything that can advise on how to retain definition, but no luck. Most, if not all, tutorials guide you through Zmapper, which isn't a part of Zbrush 3, so I think there's a huge chunk of information that I'm missing out on before exporting the texture.

This is a real case of fly or die because everything depends on me getting this right.

Is there anyone who can at least point me in the direction of a good detailed resource, or be so kind to try and help out personally? I'll be eternally grateful.

STEVONATRON
02-24-2010, 07:53 PM
For anyone interested or in a similar predicament; I managed to find a fantastic in depth tutorial that covers normal mapping from zbrush to max.

It's pretty much saved my life: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=51300 so massive respect and gratitude to the guy who made this pdf:bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2010, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.