PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Character: 10 sec club

Rogue
09-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Hello all. Just thought I'd get some feedback on my latest 10 sec club entry. I didn't get it finished in time to enter it but that's ok, it's all for practice.

Crit away! I'll be addressing crits as well as other things I wanted to fix in the next week or so.

Link; 1.3 meg DivX (http://www.roguesplace.com/animations/August(2003).avi)

Thanks,

JC

MosaFacku
09-03-2003, 06:38 AM
hey rogue, long time no talky. i know what you mean about not being done in time, i barely made the deadline. this month was my first 10 sec club entry and i only had 3 days to animate. heh heh. makes life more interesting that way i guess.

here goes the crits:

i think what you've got is a nice start. right now i think he needs more dramatic poses. right now, he's not getting the emotion across that he's all pissed off and going crazy. its not something thats easy to do, i know i sure didn't do it. another thing, when he says "katherine" i think he should make eye contact with "her". this is more of my personal opinion and habit, but usually when i start talking to someone after listening to them, i usually make eye contact when i first start to speak, even if the eye contact only lasts a split second. i think with this, he might want to hold the eye contact a little longer though because he's really furious and passionate about his feelings.

something that might really help out a little more might be going in front of your mirror and going over the sound clip. watch what you do. even better, if you've got a camera, tape yourself acting it out so you can go back and study how you acted. anyways, keep it up man! :buttrock:

matt

Rogue
09-03-2003, 11:22 PM
What's up MosaFacku! Haven't heard anything from you in a while. Glad you entered the 10 sec club this month. Wished I could've gotten done in time, but you know how it is sometimes.

I agree on the poses. I tend to keep things too subtle. It's something I continually fight, and often loose. :) You think he should be more frantic in his performance?

I actually did use a camera and filmed myself going through the dialogue a few times. There was once where I looked away from the camera when he says the name Catherine. I choose that one because it seemed the most natural...but that's not to say I animated him looking very natural. I'll see what I can do with it.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and give a crit. It's always appreciated!

Good look on the contest. I guess I'll have to guess at which one it yours. ;)

James

MosaFacku
09-03-2003, 11:40 PM
I agree on the poses. I tend to keep things too subtle. It's something I continually fight, and often loose. You think he should be more frantic in his performance?

yah, its something i keep struggling with too. something that helps me with it is sketching out lil thumbnails. after that, they're usually still not exaggerated enough, but i'm usually able to catch it and exaggerate it while i'm animating. i've always been told to push till u think you've gone too far...then push even more :buttrock:

as to making him more frantic, i dunno about that. "frantic" makes me think panic. i think if you made him a little angrier, that might help.

if you don't wanna guess at which anim was mine, you can always go here and leave some feedback ;) :

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85661

-matt

Alice
09-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Hi there, I realy do like your animation, but Im missing 2 things.
the eyes look a bit funny in the rendering, this isnt something you want feedback on, I know, but they tend to steal the impression away from the animation.
The other thing is, I would like him to act out just a little bit more, making a little bit larger movements.

Realy gj!
Like his ears :)

Rogue
09-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm hoping to have the time this weekend to address some of comments made, but that's yet to be seen.

Thanks again

James

snot_nose
09-06-2003, 02:42 AM
only pose that disturbe me was when he screams 'AAAH' (before i can't believe i'm hearing this.)
I would raise the hands instead of bringing them down, or maybe keep this pose but give it more anticipation (wich will mean raising them a bit before bringing them down and bending him forward)
other then that all looks :thumbsup: to me.
keep the good work

Tal

mehdianim
09-07-2003, 11:45 PM
i agree with most of people's crits, especially that he needs larger movements. That was the same problem with your Jack Nicholson entry his moves were too short and his body language feels a bit stiff. It seems as though once you posed him at the start you don't want to move him around too much when you should.

ukyo
09-13-2003, 07:21 AM
forgive my ignorance but whats the 10 sec club?

Rogue
09-14-2003, 01:16 PM
Sorry guys. I haven't had the chance to make any changes yet....

Originally posted by ukyo
forgive my ignorance but whats the 10 sec club?

It's a competition that uses a 10 second sound clip from a movie or show and people will animate to that sound clip. It's a competition just to make it interesting, I guess, but it's for practice more than anything else.

10 sec club (http://www.10secondclub.org/)

10 sec club Yahoo groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/10SecondClub/)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.