PDA

View Full Version : UV-Mapping Problem

Swissphil
09-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Yesterday I tried to render a character that I exported from Poser to Ligthwave in M:Studio (yeah, I know, Poser... ught ;) but the character is no in LW format thanks to the Poser Propack plugin.

UV-Mapping seems to be OK, except the face where the Map got really messed up.
Its a Victoria2 Character that uses 2 UV Texturefiles, one for the head and one for the body.
The interesting thing is that in the Worldview, the texture looks ok.

I also noticed a very long rendertime. The Character has a transparency map on the hair and this seems to slow down the render extremly. Rendertime was 4:30 Minutes on a 1.8Ghz Athlon with one Pointlight, shadow on and no global Illumination and no Anti Alias.

http://homepage.mac.com/philippweimer/PoserTest.jpg

Swissphil
09-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Forget the rendertime, I had Fog Density = 1 from a previous scene in the Athmosphere panel.

When I turned fog off, it was reduced to 52 seconds.

lmilton
09-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Swissphil
Forget the rendertime, I had Fog Density = 1 from a previous scene in the Athmosphere panel.

When I turned fog off, it was reduced to 52 seconds.

I'm glad you worked out the rendertime problem. I'm assuming that those uv problems still exist, though.

Can you provide anymore info? Can you post a close-up on the face, rendered & wireframe? Is this a MetaNURBS object?

-lyle

Swissphil
09-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Ok, here's the closeup of her face... not a pretty sight at all ;)

It's not a subdivised mesh, just the normal Victoria2 model from Daz3D. I think the problem could be that this model uses two texture files on one mesh (one for the body and one for the head) and if I remember right only one UV-Map for the whole mesh.

Wireframe... I don't know how I can render this out of Messiah and also don't see how it could help you, but if you tell me how I will do it tomorrow

http://homepage.mac.com/philippweimer/PoserTest2.jpg

lmilton
09-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Ok, here's the closeup of her face... not a pretty sight at all ;)

It's not a subdivised mesh, just the normal Victoria2 model from Daz3D. I think the problem could be that this model uses two texture files on one mesh (one for the body and one for the head) and if I remember right only one UV-Map for the whole mesh.

Wireframe... I don't know how I can render this out of Messiah and also don't see how it could help you, but if you tell me how I will do it tomorrow

http://homepage.mac.com/philippweimer/PoserTest2.jpg

Yikes!! I doubt it has anything to do with the number of texture maps; if it shows up in the worldview, it should render. However, it does look like there are issues with the geometry. The giveaway is the holes; if it was the maps, you'd just see strange coloring.

No, you wouldn't render a wireframe. Actually, it would be helpful if you just did an OpenGL flat shaded worldview screengrab. I'm betting that the face has non-planar quads. This is why I'd like to see the flat shaded OpenGL version (it will also show the edges)

-lyle

Swissphil
09-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Your wish is my command although I had to get out of bed to do the screengrab. :wise: It's a pretty dense mesh, but if I observe right its made of tris... I don't know if it helps you, but the same model renders correctly in Lightwave 6.5 and Cinema4D 8.1

http://homepage.mac.com/philippweimer/PoserTest3.jpg

lmilton
09-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Your wish is my command although I had to get out of bed to do the screengrab. :wise: It's a pretty dense mesh, but if I observe right its made of tris...

That's a seriously dense model. It looks like there are failures on the smallest of polys. I'd appreciate it if you can run a few tests for me:

1. try a render without the texture maps. Just use the standard material properties

2. try scaling the model ~4x in modeler. Then try rendering the face again.

There could be serious problems in the model, however these two tests should reveal more clues.

I'll check back in on this thread after you've gotten some sleep;)

-lyle

Swissphil
09-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by lmilton

2. try scaling the model ~4x in modeler. Then try rendering the face again.

There could be serious problems in the model, however these two tests should reveal more clues.

I'll check back in on this thread after you've gotten some sleep;)

-lyle

Couldnt resist to get out of bed to try it :)
Scaling everything up 4 times did the trick, now it renders better. The next think I have to work on now are the transparency maps on the eyebrows, Eyelashes and the hair... They seem not to render yet

Thanks a lot Lyle!

http://homepage.mac.com/philippweimer/PoserTest4.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.