PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave: Interactive music mix toy

mFlux
09-02-2003, 11:51 AM
It's shockwave. I programmed it in director for my class last quater. Kinda reluctant to show it to people... but people seem to like it (I got an A+ and a scholarship off this thing so...).

http://www.design.ucla.edu/~mflux/interactive/nodes/finalnodes7.htm

The graphics is programmed, as are the sounds and mechanics of it.

Turn the nodes/knobs by left clicking it. Turn it in reverse by right clicking it. You can chain and combo the balls into a variety of music (mostly ambient beats though).

Some rules:
The SOUND is based on the ball. That sound is randomized every time the program restarts.
The PITCH is based on the node. All nodes are randomized.
Some balls are MELODIC, and will react differently to nodes by either increasing the speed or slowing it down.
The number of balls are random each time you run it.

Thus, you can hit refresh and hear a completely different tune. It begins running by itself anyways.

Sometimes balls can stick together. There is no fixing this, as of this version (doubt I'll make any newer versions though). Sometimes if the balls are in the same loop, if you click fast enough you can get one of them out of a loop.

Enjoy and have fun!! :)

Ian Jones
09-03-2003, 12:26 AM
heh, thats cool.

I've been toying with the idea of interactive music recently, so this was very interesting. Really cool animation to link in with the sound. Good work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.