PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic output curves don't rotate with geometry

DurdyMaksim
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Someone PLEASE help me with this if you can. I've modeled some nurbs hairs to attach to dynamic curves for a cartoon hair look. This is the process I've followed: created curve, parented to head geometry, made curve dynamic, switched point lock to base, used the dynamic curve "current position" or "output curve" as a wire deformer for the nurbs hair I modeled. Everything works all good and fine until I rotate the characters head. The nurbs hairs follow the dynamic curve but do not rotate with the head I believe because the dynamic "current position" hair doesn't rotate, only the start position. Is there a way I can constrain the nurbs geometry so that it will rotate with the head? I've tried parenting the nurbs hair to the head and the start curve as well as constraining it to these. All these mess up the relationship to the "current position" curve. Losing much sleep and hair off of my own head!! Help!

tpalamar
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
In order to get it to rotate properly you will need to use a spline IK setup instead of the wire deformer. Here are the basic steps:

Create a skeleton for each curve that you have created.
Add a spline IK handle with the Auto Create Curve Option turned off. Choose your joints and then the curve.
Parent the skeleton to your geometry.

Here is a scene file:

http://www.speffects.com/images/postings/hairRotate.mb

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.