PDA

View Full Version : joint orientations.. is it worth it?

pappapierre
02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
sup!

i've come across joint orientations a few times now, but i never take the time to actually do the orientation via the "orient joint" command.. the reason for this is that i dont actually know why one would this?

any ideas on why this is important, or not?

ShadowM8
02-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes it's important. Joint Orientation is used to compute the final joint transformation matrix so you need to set it properly. (one axis, usualy x, pointing down the chain with z axis being the axis of primary motion, also making sure the joints that will make up an IK chain are planar).

giordi
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
what you mean like planar?

btw the orientation of the bone is really important and this tool allow you to do a fast and accurate orient but sometimes you need to correct it by hand

Darksuit
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Most of the time If you can create the bones from the correct plane top view or side, and remember not to translate any bone other than the root, use rotate and scale to match the position and orientation that you need. Then freeze scale. This should eliminate most of the need to go in and hand tweak the orientation of the bones. Since I started doing this, I have not had to tweak a bone orientation in two years.

The Maya 8.0 at a Glance book has a nice little MEL script in it for Bone creation based on CV curves. It might be worth some time to hunt this done or see if your local library has or can get a copy of the book.

stumped on how to find the book. Click the link. http://tinyurl.com/yj8wurx

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.