PDA

View Full Version : Female Character WIP - Smooth Edge Loop

inkblot86
02-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Hello. I've been LEARNING 3d for some time and just went through the digital tutors creating human tutorials. Anyway I want to use my character for a test game using UDK. Turns out the tutorial can't be used for gaming because the poly count is way too high after you smooth the model. There in lies the problem. My character smoothed looks REALLY ugly and causes shadow artifacts in the game engine due to it's harsh edges (yes normals are smoothed). Is there a way I can smooth the edges quickly? I will attach some images for your review.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2crkj6g.gif

http://i47.tinypic.com/2igosyh.gif

NullHypothesis
02-23-2010, 10:54 PM
What program are you using to model? Those screens look like Maya, but I'm not sure.

For a game model, your low-poly distribution is far from ideal. Around the eyes, nose, lips, and ears, the mesh is much too dense, while the forehead is a scant two quads high. The quads are also stretched out and distorted, meeting at sharp angles. Without subdividing the model, the shading has to be interpolated from a triangulated version of the geometry you've provided, which isn't working. Look closely at the shading artifacts; you can see exactly where the more distorted quads are split into triangles. The triangulation looks as optimal as it can be, given what there is to work with, so doing it manually won't help.

What you have right now would probably be fine for a software render. I would add a little more geometry to the sparse areas, subdivide once, and finish any last detailing. I'd then study some game meshes, retopo based on what was learned, and bake a normal map off the original.

Could you post other angles of the wireframe?

inkblot86
02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
I was afraid of that. Oh well, clearly the tutorial was geared towards software rendering. I just spent $200.00 on this NEX software for maya so this might just be a great chance for me to learn to use that as well! Thanks so much!

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.