PDA

View Full Version : advanced body panels ( cars )

doneydonydone
02-22-2010, 08:49 PM
howdy

im trying to model a car created from scratch as a concept car for a uni project

its loosely based around the images found here

http://www.3dhifi.com/blog/comments.php?y=08&m=04&entry=entry080401-021343

the only trouble is im struggling to create the advanced body panels on the side of the car

the tutorials i have found use polygons modelling and always create extra edges/lines on the geometry i would like to stay relatively angular when i put the mesh smooth on

when i create extra edges along these areas with the chamfer or cut tool it creates too much mess and looks horrible when i use mesh smooth

any hints/tips for this would be grateful

Stupeyfied
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Have you tried using edge weights? Click on an edge, then in the modify panel there will be a section that says "Crease". Change that from 0 to 1 (if you want a perfectly hard edge) or somewhere between 0 and 1 to soften or stiffen the edge crease. See if that helps. If not, you might have some stray verts somewhere or something.

CapnPanic
03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
It might be useful if you posted an image of what you've got right now, so we can have a look and offer tips on what to change.

doneydonydone
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
i will say that the comment above that mentions crease weights does actually work a little bit in keeping the main structure of the bodywork but still falls short of what im tryin to acheive

here are a few pics to show where abouts i am at the moment

the first is a block version and the second will be the mesh smooth version

im thinking of trying spline techniques or nurbs modelling but ive heard its quite difficult compared to box modelling

doneydonydone
03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
mesh smooth version

doneydonydone
03-16-2010, 06:56 PM
by the way thanks for takin a look

CapnPanic
03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Generally, I find that it is best to keep a sort of buffer around all corners of an object. By this, I mean that you don't ever want two or three edges all coming together on a corner, as it'll cause a pinch. Also, it's best to have a ring of nice even faces along your edge or hole, as that will give you a uniform corner radius. I've done a quick drawover (attached), which, while a bit sloppy (I missed a few edges) should give you the general feel of what I mean. You can then move the loop closer or further from the corner to harden or soften the smoothed edge.

Also: all quads. It's like a rubiks cube. It can be challenging to fix some tris or ngons, but a proper model can and should be all quads. That's where all the fun in modeling is :-D

doneydonydone
03-19-2010, 01:17 AM
howdy nathan

thanks for your input -- ive recently started my model again just to have a fresh start and because i wasnt that far into the model

the pointers you've given me that seem to gesture towards having a border of quads around the inward extruding area have worked a treat

ive also now found a new friend in the crease and weight options of each edge -- classic!!

thing is ive only ever learnt to model from tutorials and have missed a lot of stuff out

looked at your website earlier and i have to say im impressed!! youve really made it havent you!!

thanks again for the input - im tired - its 20 past 1 in the morning over here and im off to bed ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2010, 01:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.