PDA

View Full Version : ambient occlusion pass in vue?

pierre1981
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi

Im trying to render out an aerial shot of a road with tree's but i can't get the shadow density to look correct. Im quite new to vue but have used Max for many years. I basically want an ambient occlusion pass like i get from max (just a black and white image detailing where the contact shadows are) Basically everything looks like it needs grounding. I'm getting shadows being cast from the trees as i want but they aren't getting any darker as the get closer to the trunk.

cheers

Pete

bruno021
02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
This pass doesn't exist in Vue, unfortunately. Vue has an Indirect lighting pass, but no AO pass. And the shadow pass is only taking direct shadows into account.

Cuni
02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I haven't tried it, but I wonder if it would work if your atmosphere settings are set to ambient occlusion, you hide all direct lights, and assign a grey shader to everything.

bruno021
02-26-2010, 06:53 PM
This should work, brilliant idea!

pierre1981
03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah i thought about doing this too. Is there an easy way of putting a material override on everything globally? Going through and doing each object in an eco-system individually will take forever!!!

bruno021
03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, maybe this would be possible using the ecosystem master object?

InfernalDarkness
03-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I recall successfully creating an AO pass for a Vue scene, some time ago. I can't remember how I did it precisely, but it worked like a charm! The hardest part was getting the max distance proper, which is true about any AO setup really.

Key point in my nebulous post: it's certainly possible.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2010, 06:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.