PDA

View Full Version : Lost his way

Urb4nNinj4
02-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new, clearly. My name's Brian, and I've been into video games pretty much since I exited the womb :D. I chose to pursue Game Design as a career path, few other choices make sense to me. I've been attending a community college for almost 3 years now and barely done anything I think in my way of achieving my goal save a CAD class, a few assorted computer classes, and am currently enrolled in a brand new 3DS Max class. I love the class, but I don't think where I am now is going to get me anywhere. Someone suggested going to an technical university or something, but I don't know where to start. Where would I go to accomplish this dream? What are employers in the video game design area looking for? What am I up against? I don't want to be stuck on this dead end track forever, and I figure a community of established and up and coming people in this field could point me in the right direction.

leigh
02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Employers are looking for kickass work. It's that simple. What you're up against are other people with the same skills, dedication and goal that you have. So you need to really push yourself to stand out from the crowd.

Depending on what kind of person you are, you could go to another college or university and study, or you could learn on your own. Some people work and learn better in classes, others learn better on their own. One isn't better than the other, they're just different approaches. If you can afford it, and you feel you'd learn better in an academic environment, then explore the options that are available in terms of courses - I'm sure you'll find plenty of info on various institutions in your country on this site.

Urb4nNinj4
02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
So it's not so much like every other career where a degree is pretty much what gets you in, they actually look at what you can do hm?

I'll take a peek around the site for some good schools, i learn best in a classroom environment as it is...but the $$$ may be a big factor.

Do you know of any way of doing something like an internship or job shadowing? Or is stuff like that on here too?

leigh
02-22-2010, 11:17 PM
So it's not so much like every other career where a degree is pretty much what gets you in

Absolutely not. While there is a technical side to CG, it's not academic in the sense that a piece of paper can necessarily state your skills. Your portfolio is your selling point, because that's how you demonstrate your abilities.

Do you know of any way of doing something like an internship or job shadowing? Or is stuff like that on here too?

Some schools have relationships with certain studios that their students can intern with, but I don't really know a whole lot about it, to be honest. It would be best to get in contact with studios to find out more information about this.

DanielWray
02-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Game Design, from what I understand is pretty much the same across the board first and foremost your trained in how to develop ideas, stories, game play etc and all of the other legal and technical baggage that comes with it. You won't be learning, or at least in any real depth, of how to create 3D models, texture and animate those models. You may be shown how to use a game editing environment though, but you probably already know this.

Therefore I would suggest you narrow down what career path you want to focus on, do you want to be a 3D modeller, Texture artist, Rigger/ TD, Shader/ Programmer, Animator? there are way more specialities than that, that's just naming a few. So decide what you want to do, or at least narrow it down and then put your head down (This can be in education, or in your own time, doesn't make a difference) and get learning as much as possible about your chosen area, at first you may bounce around and find it difficult to make your mind up about what you want to do, my suggestion is find a balance between what you like doing and what your good at, so for example if you find that your a natural at animation, I.e. good sense of timing and artistic flair and you quite like it, then invest every spare moment you can in nailing down your skills as an animator.

Of course by spending every spare moment I don't mean spending 72 hours straight adjusting splines and killing yourself, no that won't get you many placed I'd imagine. Just try and form a balance, and that's important because it's something I'm trying to do at the moment, I'm studying computer animation and learning more in my own time, but I still need a good healthy balance of work, leisure time and social time to get my creative juices and thinking cap working, otherwise I just grind myself into the ground with frustration... Yea I'm kind of ranting now, so I'll end. But if you post back and you have something more specific in mind of what you would possibly like to look into then I'll see if I can get some more information for you :) :beer:

Jettatore
02-23-2010, 02:02 AM
I sent you a private message regarding your post, and I brought this up in there as well, but keep in mind that if your going to invest your money (aka school) -that you only have a few lanes on the same one way street to work with if you specialize in a CG education. As Leigh said, the degree doesn't get you in, it's not even a requirement, the quality of your work and the conditions of the industry are what effect your ability to get a job, keep a job and climb the salary ladder.

So with that in mind, I highly do not recommend you, or anyone pay money for a CG specific education. Get a proper degree that offers a good bit of flexibility, and on it's own will qualify you for higher employment. If you end up designing a good CG reel on top of that, well now you have a lot of options and in my own humble opinion you will be much better off.

Urb4nNinj4
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, for all the advice. I think for now i'll put game design on the back burners, and concentrate on a more, at home career choice, and use game design as a hobby.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.