PDA

View Full Version : Character: Deus Ex

modeling-man
09-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Graphire2 Wacom/Photoshop 7.0

http://www.subshape.com/concept.jpg
http://www.subshape.com/concept_face.jpg

Just a concept I finished late last week. I was a bit nervous to post since I usually hang out in the game/art design forum. I tried to invision a character in the Deus Ex world since I really liked that game. I'll start the model once I finish up some contract work;)
B

SammyB
09-02-2003, 02:23 AM
Looks good, but what is the function of that weapon? Does it shoot, slash, or just look cool!

Are you going to model it for DX or DX2?

JDex
09-02-2003, 02:27 AM
I really like the armor style... very cool...

The gigantic turtleneck and hair are a bit freaked imho, but interesting none the less. In what way would you say that this character fits in with Deus Ex (one of my fav game btw)? I don't see the connection, but it may all become clear with a bit'o'explainin. :D

modeling-man
09-02-2003, 03:07 AM
Well I'd have to agree and say Deus Ex is by far my favorite game on PC. I still remember how cool it was finding the "aliens". I was up LATE at night playing that game and when I went into the lab and saw them I got sooo excited, and scared at the same time. Its been a loong time since I've felt that intense over a game. I really dug the future they illustrated.
After viewing Deus Ex 2 images which seems to a bit more gothic and at times just plain over-the-top in terms of outfits. Which I like. I decided to kinda concept up an outfit that would fit between the both of them<perhaps more on DX2>. If you looked at Denton's comrades in the first game. Specifically the Russian woman cyborg and other henchmen (illuminati soldiers) that worked with him in the beginning the clothing/color/armor is on par with that look. The large collar is something I noticed to be used quite a bit in Deus Ex 2 <see link below>

giant collar dude (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/art/dx2_wtoforces.jpg)

Since the game isn't out yet I can't really explain who wears them but it seems like a common outfit piece in that game. I guess what he's missing is a trench coat of sorts but I yanked it last minute just cause I liked the more sleak look instead of a clunky trenchcoat.

As for the weapon its a loooong single fire weapon with incredible range. Can be used as a melee weapon kinda like those super long weapons you may have seen in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. It has no noticeable triggers as it doesn't rely on powder or mechanics to push the bullet.

As for how he fits? He'd be a lesser figure in the main story but still a worthy opponent. Since Deus Ex characters can be friend or foe depending on what you do...lets just say he's not someone you'd just kill on site. Chances are he'd have a bullet in you WAY before you even knew what hit you. So best to be friends with him and help his cause.

As for the freakish hair that's nothing...just come down to Seattle and walk around Capitol Hill for a while and this will look common.
Hope that helps!
B

German
09-03-2003, 02:44 AM
hi, i really love Deus Ex too...itīs a game that take you into a special dark wourld! nice nice...modeling_man! in germany isnīt that game out! :scream: :D

bye

phoenix
09-10-2003, 08:58 PM
good work......

Draco-84
09-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Looks good!
One suggestion. When doing shadows on skin tone don't use your overlay layers. If you look at the (his) left side of the forehead you'll notice how it's sort of burnt...that's caused from using overlay layers to make shadows on colors with red tints such as skin tones...
Instead try using a very low opacity brush with a dark dark brown (when shadowing skin) and paint shadows from there.
Overlay works fine for greys and more nuetral colors...but when you start adding reds and other heavy sat colors things get messy.
Cool character!
Nice job! :thumbsup:

modeling-man
09-11-2003, 02:49 AM
Actually I didn't use overlay...I did use burn though. The colors were actually all painted in blue to begin with (ie: greyscales)then I just decided to try to darken it up a bit I rarely use burn but I liked the results. I'll try your techniques you suggested. Great eyes by the way you must have some good photoshop skills to be able to see my process without actually seeing the steps!:cool:
B

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.