PDA

View Full Version : Are most game guys self taught?

Dave Hackett
05-21-2002, 05:06 PM
It seems to me that allot of the people I talk to just teach this stuff to themselves, is that the norm? There isn't allot of game schools that I know of that are close or affordable.
Dave

amusedtoe
05-24-2002, 09:21 PM
well if my knowledge serves my right which it could not is that alot of the artists acctually go to art school and through love of games and stuff or jus dumb luck end up in the games industry. at least thats what ive always heard :)
-peace

sean_G
05-25-2002, 10:28 PM
DIGIPEN, in seattle washington. its a school pretty much devoted to the technical and artistic development of video games. but it is held in very high regaurd by MIT so its a real deal academy... check it out

Dave Hackett
05-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Sorry Digipen, your out of my price range. While this may be acceptable for some, those prices are not for me. Lot's of guys I know got in being self taught. That's the way I'll do it. I'll be able to eat as well....
Dave
Thanks Sean for the lead though.

J.Peckham
05-26-2002, 09:10 PM
i think no matter if you get into a 3d major or not you end up teaching yourself anyway. schools are basically a shove in the right direction. i've never done anything in school i couldn't have done in a tutorial (most lessons are tutorials out of some book)

l_farley13_l
05-26-2002, 09:46 PM
I do think there's a difference, the structure and environment gives pressure from fellow students, Profs and deadlines echos that of the Gaming World. It forces you to get good quickly and get the fundimentals as well. I think that's the true reason Challenges work so well.

see you,

Farley13

Dave Hackett
05-26-2002, 10:40 PM
In my own experiance (I'm living right now) to get into the video game industry, there's nothing but pressure and competion to get in. Someone who produces good work from a school is great. But someone who produces the same results by trial and error at home, on their own, is a better hire. Just my $.02
Dave

SeanW
05-27-2002, 01:40 AM
well if money is tight community colleges can be a great resourse to use, sometimes you can find great teachers there. Not sure if they have game classes but 3d fundamentals is what you could get out of something like a community college. My college has a game club whom makes games and is open to people outside the college I go to. I think we might be one of the only ones like that but you could check local schools for something like that.. Good luck

Wulfsyarn
05-30-2002, 12:41 AM
Heres a little write up that might help. I'm New to this as well so don't know how true this is but it maybe of help. Comments welcome on how relevent this is.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Features/1424.html

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Features/1427.html

Also it lists some places where you can train please note these are places in New Zealand and Australia.

Hope they help.
Wulfsyarn

spakman
05-30-2002, 02:08 AM
Self taught here (and becoming gladder and gladder by the minute. sheesh, what are they teaching now?!?)

CrystalMesh
05-31-2002, 12:42 AM
Self taught here too, all that matters to a company looking to hire you is how good your portfolio is, when i got my job, they didn't even ask me for a resume or if i had even finished high school ;)

Just make sure you know you stuff, can do kickass work and you'll have no problems.

RDK
06-04-2002, 09:49 AM
Ihave been teaching my self max last 3 years modeling weapons and now just starting to practice player modeling in maya. I have just learnt by messing around in max, there is no courses I can take on 3d modeling this side of Australia so I gota make do with what I got :)

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Have you checked out Cogswell Polytechnical College? I just graduated from there with an emphasis on Video Game Design. It is an accredited college and it's really small and private. I was really happy with the education I received there, considering that when I enrolled at Cogswell, I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about 3D. If you go the route of an art school with a full four year program, I suggest going to Junior or Community College first and getting some of your General Education credits out of the way.

spakman
06-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by kamikazerussell
... If you go the route of an art school with a full four year program, I suggest going to Junior or Community College first and getting some of your General Education credits out of the way.

I have always found observation superior to education. And observation is free.

SeanW
06-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Interesting, I guess that you would have to be carefull about is misguided observation. And understanding that observation is a different ball park. I mean what is education but guided observation.

spakman
06-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Teachers are like gunslingers - always shooting from the hip. That's okay cos they're marksmen.

Parrots can only hit what's right in front of them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.