PDA

View Full Version : Macros and brush settings

Sybexmed
02-19-2010, 07:12 AM
I wish macros could record your brush settings as well. I hate having to go through all of my brushes and setting them up before i get to work. Is there someway to do this that i don't know of?

mecos
03-03-2010, 04:27 AM
this is my biggest issue with zbrush. it consumes a lot of my time specially since zbrush keeps crashing and i have to set thing all over again. i notice you can save curves for like pressure, but i can't seem to load them. when i go to load they the save file doesn't highlight. and even if i could load them, it takes way longer to do that than to set it all over again.

so in short i don't know how to save the settings :P

i also wish zbrush would remember paths for specific saves. say you want to load a brush, it should look in your las brush save folder not in your current document or random folder.

anyway. i've found many things about zbrush to be cumbersome.

Sybexmed
03-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I was watching a tutorial and i remember them mentioning that under preferences there is a config setting were you store a file with all changes made. But it doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe you might have some better luck.

Are you from Oakland CA?

mecos
03-03-2010, 05:50 PM
yeah i don't know exactly what the config does. i read what it's suppose to do, but i don't know what are all the settings it affects.

and yes i'm in oakland ca.

TVeyes
03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Storing the configuration saves all the settings in the Preference palette and also the current layout of the user interface. It does not save settings from any of the other palettes.

You can use macros to change various brush settings. Not sure what you could be doing wrong there. But for setting many brushes' settings once and for all there is a better way.

All the brushes that are present on a fresh install of ZBrush are loaded automatically from the ZData/BrushPresetsfolder. Ideally you should modify the brushes you want and save them in the ZStartup/BrushPresets folder. Brushes stored there will also load automatically as will relevant files stored in the other ZStartup folders. The reason you don't want to overwrite the original brush files is twofold. For one you might want the original brush settings back at some point and secondly proper playback of zscript modeling sessions rely on brush (and other settings) being at their default state.

I don't think the folders you end up in when loading/saving or importing/exporting are random, they will simply be the last used folder. If you enable Preferences > Misc > Use ZFolders (store the configuration afterwards) the load/save operations will default to their respective ZBrush folder equivalents. For example, Load Tool will start in the ZTool folder, Load Material will start in the ZMaterial folder, and so on. If you place shortcuts in those folders you should be able to fairly quickly access your project folders where ever they may be.

Hope that makes sense.

mecos
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
that makes sense.

i have saved custom brushes but pen pressure settings don't seem to be attached to them. how do i save preferences for tablet pressure?

TVeyes
03-03-2010, 08:59 PM
For me (using 3.5R3) the Brush > Tablet Pressure curves save with the brush preset and are loaded just fine. How are you going about changing the pen pressure curves? Are you saving the Curve instead of the Brush ?

mecos
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
For me (using 3.5R3) the Brush > Tablet Pressure curves save with the brush preset and are loaded just fine. How are you going about changing the pen pressure curves? Are you saving the Curve instead of the Brush ?

at first i had saved just the curve and i couldn't load it. then i saved a brush with the settings i wanted. the brush i saved loads up on start up but the settings for the pressure are the default.

TVeyes
03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't know what is going on. For me it works flawlessly. Also sounds strange you could not load a curve.

Sorry, I cannot assist you any further than simply listing the steps I take to modify and save a brush preset.

1) Select the Standard brush
2) Set Brush > Depth > Imbed to 100
3) Add extra curve points to the Brush > Tablet Pressure > Size curve.
4) Press Brush > Save As and save as 'MyStandard' in the ZStartup/BrushPresets folder.
5) Restart ZBrush.

If you do not have a MyStandard brush that has Imbed at 100 and a modified Size curve then I do not know what is going on. The brushpresets you place in ZStartup/Brushpresets are added to the list of brushes, i.e they are found at the bottom of the brush window when you press 'b'.

mecos
03-04-2010, 01:01 AM
thanks. i'll give it a shot again tonight. you've been very helpful.

edit: so i tried it. i can't find Brush > Depth > Imbed to 100
so i changed other settings like it's curve, focal shift etc. and the brush loads fine, but Tablet Pressure settings are always at the default.

TVeyes
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
If you cannot find Brush > Depth > Imbed you are probably not using ZBrush 3.5 Release 3. Check support.pixologic.com (http://support.pixologic.com) on how to receive the latest update.

ZBrush 3.5 and 3.5 release 2 had global assignment for tablet pressure curves whereas in 3.5 release 3 you can set tablet pressure curves on a brush by brush basis.

mecos
03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
i'm on mac :(

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.