PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! NUKE!: (Vik & Aiki) Freeform

Aikiman
02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi ppl,
We decided to team up as our time during the day is taken up by other commitments, so this will make sure we have something to show on D-Day.
Ill start putting some stuff up once we begin work on it, Vik will upload anything he does. The plan I have at this stage which I haven't discussed with Vik yet, sorry Vik but I did email you, is to break the nuke into 2 bits. First the ground debris and blast and then the mushroom bit itself (the important bit). Ill be working on the ground destruction while Vik does the mushroom.
Im not sure if we can render the 2 in a single pass or whether we will have to do them separately and bring them in post, we shall see and no doubt keep yous up-to-date with our issues.

Cheers Aik

Aikiman
02-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Just playing around with some lighting ideas, setting the scene and creating shots. Heres a snippet.

fxabhi
02-21-2010, 07:10 AM
man this is like coincidence or something or just meant to be ... VIKI and AIKI , the dynamic duo literally ... All the best guys... am sure "somebodies gonna get hurt real bad " lol ... :) NUKE IT!!!

Aikiman
02-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Lead-in scene before the bomb. Still a rough cut at this stage but Im pretty happy with the camera move, needs tweaking here and there. The last camera tilt to the sky will reveal a bomber flying over head. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVt1UMdoFJw

Aikiman
02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Blast wave debris test - particles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhrwhZamqE

VTeixeira
02-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Great great.
Kinda envy it but I think you will make a good work. :wip:
Good luck

Aikiman
02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Vik is playing around with sim rate, he has got some good mushroom shapes going with faster sims but these sims here are slower, as you can see he is losing the mushroom but we will get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4C1Aw9w174

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qvl5Zu_NY

Just thought Id upload them for updates, some reason the blue/green screen is playing havoc with the vids.

Personally Im liking the sim rate on the first vid.

fxabhi
02-26-2010, 07:44 AM
hi aikiman, nice updates there :) ... but whats with the blue and green screen... any particular reason u have them there?

cheers

Aikiman
02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
thanks fxabhi,
as for the green screen, vik is going to final render the fluid using a playblast then croma key it out in post.

fxabhi
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
ok... but why dont you guys render it through hardware render buffer instead of the playblast, it does have hardware alpha options plus RGB channel options as well...

am sure for fluids that an alpha is generated but not sure if its without holes...playblast also sounds ok to me though...

cheers...

Axelson
02-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Looking good there i think. even as you say its missing it the real mushroom shape, you say that the simrate is upped to around 2 in those sims, from what i have understood it, a higher simrate makes the simulation go quicker overall? When i have done test i have had to take the bouyncy very far down to counteraffect that the explosion goes to far up. is this a good way or is there a better tip out there?

About the shading, you guys always seem to get it pretty nice, i havent fully understood all of the attributes. but are you using texturing or are you emitting fluid color?

Thanks in advance, i will update my thread later this evening.

WeylandYutani
02-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Vik is playing around with sim rate, he has got some good mushroom shapes going with faster sims but these sims here are slower, as you can see he is losing the mushroom but we will get there..

As soon as you lower the sim rate, the nuke shape will not hold. Just stick to a sim rate of 2, create a cache and in Trax scale the cache x2, x3, x4...

If you need further slowdown, you can always retime in post by cutting speed to half or even 1/3 with a plugin like Kronos for Nuke.

I hope this helps you guys :)

Aikiman
02-26-2010, 11:56 PM
ok... but why dont you guys render it through hardware render buffer instead of the playblast, it does have hardware alpha options plus RGB channel options as well...
am sure for fluids that an alpha is generated but not sure if its without holes...playblast also sounds ok to me though...
cheers...

yeah Im not sure the reasoning behind it, vik did mention it in one of his emails but I cant find it amongst all the replies.

Looking good there i think. even as you say its missing it the real mushroom shape, you say that the simrate is upped to around 2 in those sims, from what i have understood it, a higher simrate makes the simulation go quicker overall? When i have done test i have had to take the bouyncy very far down to counteraffect that the explosion goes to far up. is this a good way or is there a better tip out there?
About the shading, you guys always seem to get it pretty nice, i havent fully understood all of the attributes. but are you using texturing or are you emitting fluid color?
Thanks in advance, i will update my thread later this evening.

I think vik has the simrate down below 1 in these 2 cases hence the inability to maintain the mushroom form. Normally bouyency is is below one after frame 10. As for texturing, I dont use texture at all sometimes and let the resolution of the container detail the fluid out, but play with the widgets in colour and incand to get some nice variations. I believe vik textures all his, each to their own. I dont texture mine mainly to speed up the sim.

As soon as you lower the sim rate, the nuke shape will not hold. Just stick to a sim rate of 2, create a cache and in Trax scale the cache x2, x3, x4...
If you need further slowdown, you can always retime in post by cutting speed to half or even 1/3 with a plugin like Kronos for Nuke.
I hope this helps you guys :)

Yeah I had thought about that, I think we will do that going as far as throwing a noise texture over the top in post to hide any obvious jumping, though Im guessing Kronos handles that kind of problem for you, I use Shake myself.

We should have something to show yous next week. Cheers

mustan9
02-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Your videos look really cool so far. Lots of detail in the smoke and motion, but it has a napalm feel to it. I think the problem is that there isn't enough smoke being generated from the burn to cover the fire. So you get this ball of fire effect. Maybe if you increased the density in the smoke shader it would help hide some of the flames.

I really like how it clings to the ground, and you've done a good job of hiding the source emitter so everything looks like it's forming naturally.

WeylandYutani
03-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah I had thought about that, I think we will do that going as far as throwing a noise texture over the top in post to hide any obvious jumping, though Im guessing Kronos handles that kind of problem for you, I use Shake myself.

We should have something to show yous next week. Cheers

Well, basically you can retime in Trax safely as far as cache substeps you have. If you cache every 0.25 frames, you should be able to slowdown your simulation x4 without any texture weirdness happening. At least that has always worked for me.

Aikiman
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Need Help! Does anyone have a spare bomber they can offer us? Just need it in .obj format, low res poly is fine as it will be seen way up in the sky not close-up.
If we dont find one Ill have to take a .jpg off the net and map it to a board.

Much appreciated.

mustan9
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I think I might have one somewhere. Can you send me a PM of your e-mail and I'll pass it along.

JohnPGiancarlo
03-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Here man, its a B52 I think is the same you have in the picture
http://rapidshare.com/files/357607214/B52.rar.html
is a max file though just export it as fbx from max, I can't do it , I don't have max installed here.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Cheers.

Aikiman
03-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks guys, but all I have is Maya, need .obj if poss.

VTeixeira
03-02-2010, 05:02 AM
I'll see what I can do Jeremy.
I'm at the university and we have both here.
I'm just a newbie in Max I'll see what I can do.
Cheers

VTeixeira
03-02-2010, 05:19 AM
First I what to thank JohnPGiancarlo for making this file available.
Hope everything is ok with the file.
Good luck with the rest of the work.

This is the link for the .obj file.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3a9143
Well I'm a newbie so sorry if anything is wrong with it.
I tested it in Maya and everiting was ok.
Cheers

Aikiman
03-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Great! If you dont hear from me then no news is good news!

VTeixeira
03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
:thumbsup:
lol Ok

Aikiman
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTeH0tqPsTM

Looks like we are getting our mushy shape, with some subsampling and nCache we can slow it down. I have no idea why the blue screen is acting up the way it does.

BTW thanks for the bomber, it looks great. I will post a low res vid later on when I get home.

VTeixeira
03-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Itīs looking quite good.
Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to study this.
I'm completely full with work for my final animation project.
Kinda envy you guys great work.
Keep it up

Aikiman
03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
I over did it with the leadin, but thought I could since I have a partner. Hope you think its kinda funny cause its meant to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLK03ckowL8

Aikiman
03-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Heres another shot at blastwave/debris and fluid ground blast. Viewport is having pixel depth problems with HW and fluids so hopefully MR will sort it out at render time. I will add motion blur at render time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK4eN8AWbVI

fxabhi
03-06-2010, 10:12 AM
wow that's cool...

stooch
03-06-2010, 10:07 PM
haha you got some harsh raters on youtube. i keep noticing someone keeps slamming you lol.

Looking good.

Aikiman
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
haha you got some harsh raters on youtube. i keep noticing someone keeps slamming you lol.

Looking good.

Thanks fxabhi.

@ stooch is that you giving bad ratings? hehe, I dont mind I dont take notice of the stars really, Id rather hear comments from people, most of the vids are rough cuts anyway so they probably deserve 1 star ;)

VTeixeira
03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Really???
Whats happening?
The work of both of you is quite impressive and you do really have the best behavior.
The best stars are the comments and you both are doing an awesome work.
Keep it up and I know you will. 5 stars to both of you. :arteest:
Cheers

Aikiman
03-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Really???
Whats happening?
The work of both of you is quite impressive and you do really have the best behavior.
The best stars are the comments and you both are doing an awesome work.
Keep it up and I know you will. 5 stars to both of you. :arteest:
Cheers

A gentleman and a scholar. Keep it coming ;)

stooch
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks fxabhi.

@ stooch is that you giving bad ratings? hehe, I dont mind I dont take notice of the stars really, Id rather hear comments from people, most of the vids are rough cuts anyway so they probably deserve 1 star ;)

no thats not me giving you shit ratings. Why would i do that? I enjoy ripping into stuff verbally much more than just some anonymous rating.

destruct007
03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
I really like what you guys have done so far, keep it up! I'm intrigued to see how much detail you can get out of the final sim.
That main nuke I saw looks really good, you know it doesn't all have to be 1 sim. You can sim the column, and the mushroom separately then add and animate the texture on both to match their respective roles.

viki164
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
just a small upate & my first entry on this blog :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9L7nUhkbA

or

http://www.vimeo.com/10016984

let us know which one suits better in terms of scale, though we are still trying to get better version from the middle nuke sim.
best,
Aiki & Vik

stooch
03-09-2010, 02:19 AM
they look like awesome explosions, but not very nuke like. more like a conventional blast, perhaps blowing up a fuel refinery.

baran
03-09-2010, 03:00 AM
I like the third one.(RHT side). Looks in black colour. It has the proper swril, stem and push at the bottom. There are no too much jiggles in it. So tweaking this one may give better result.
May be a little big mushroom shape and thicker stem and slow/steady in Y direction.

BTW, all the explosions are really good. Keep up the great work!

fxabhi
03-09-2010, 03:57 AM
you are a crazy man vik... cheers .. that's absawesome :)

WeylandYutani
03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
they look like awesome explosions, but not very nuke like. more like a conventional blast, perhaps blowing up a fuel refinery.

I agree, they are extremelly detailed and awesome looking, but they are not really nuclear explosion-like. The only one that gets a bit closer to what a nuclear blast looks like it's the one on the right. :)

ludorami
03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
damn pretty cool sim :D

mustan9
03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I think the shape of the middle one is the best, but the fast motion and the lifting of the smoke on the ground is causing the confusion about it being a nuke.

Axelson
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Can i ask you what container size and res you are having for those? is it waaaay up there to get all that nice detail or is it done in another way?

Great work so far! i hope we will se lots of people finishing this challenge!

KidderD
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

While, I tend to agree with Stooch here, I wonder how much more nukelike it might be a with a flash, and perhaps concussion wave etc. Which of course, I am sure your getting to... these are some nice sims! I think another thing to improve scale, might be less movement in the forms over time. Fast at the start, and then very slow billowing.

But, man those are some kickass explosions!

Aikiman
03-09-2010, 07:40 PM
All the things you guys have mentioned we will work on in post, ie slow the overall sim down, more so in the beginning, add light release first 10-15 frames, include blast wave - particles, probably render different camera angle to feel the immensity of fluid, add camera shake.

I think if you look at the city you can see the scale of the explosion, but we are just losing the feel of it which we hope to rectify in post.

Thanks for your feedback, Ill let Vik answer any techy questions.

kdronez
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
I wana know some values for the right one pls :>.All 3 of them look awesome,but the right one is totaly increadible.
Gl guys you have only 2 more days to amaze us xD.

Aikiman
03-14-2010, 12:03 AM
We are still in this folks, one more day left. Just have been really busy with other stuff but its coming together. Stay tuned.

Nyro
03-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I over did it with the leadin, but thought I could since I have a partner. Hope you think its kinda funny cause its meant to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLK03ckowL8

Guys, you really planning on blowing up the Beatles??

On a more serious note, looking awesome :)

VTeixeira
03-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Looking forward to see it.
Good luck

fxabhi
03-22-2010, 06:52 AM
hi, is anybody home??? what happened here... what happened to this nuke thread...did the challenge get over? am a little lost here ... as it seems the same to me for the past 1 week? why no new posts?

guys you there...

Aikiman
03-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Just getting things done in post now.

Aikiman
03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Wow, we made it! we definitely needed the extra week with trying to work around our different schedules due to time zone differences. We couldve done with another week but then that would be just silly right?

JohnnyRandom
03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
great plume, I have to say whomever engineered those tall buildings...thats where I'd wanna be :)

Aikiman
03-22-2010, 10:47 PM
great plume, I have to say whomever engineered those tall buildings...thats where I'd wanna be :)

Yeah we missed out on putting our ground fluid in, the scene we were working on died so we left it out due to time constraints. Thanks for you comments ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2010, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.