PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't Covered In FAQ

Mirun
02-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Are none CG members not allowed to have signatures? If none CG members are allowed to have signatures what are the tags I need to use the image? Or are images not allowed? Thank you very much for answering my question, even though it may have been asked before. I have spent nearly a few minutes getting lost and pressing wrong forum buttons. You'd think someone who was on the forums for a long time actually knew what they were doing. hahahahhaa.
It's becoming obvious that I don't know what I am doing.

leigh
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
No, we don't allow signatures because they're lame and look disgusting, cluttering up the flow of discussion, and making the whole site look hideous.

Mirun
02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
No, we don't allow signatures because they're lame and look disgusting, cluttering up the flow of discussion, and making the whole site look hideous.

And you don't think that about all the adds too?

I mean no offense, but I find that statement a little rude. Especially since I make things like this (http://i46.tinypic.com/3486l20.jpg). Not sure how something like that could ruin the flow of a discussion.

I understand your statement. I'm not trying to say anything against the beliefs or thoughts. Simply I wouldn't want my work to be called lame and disgusting.

leigh
02-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Sorry mate, but your example there doesn't change my opinion at all. Having loads of images sandwiched between posts looks absolutely terrible and does ruin the flow of discussion, and that's over and above my personal dislike for them. With all due respect, I see nothing admirable nor impressive about taking other people's artwork, sticking a username into it and cropping it. To be absoutely honest, I don't think that image is very good at all. Why not put your time and energy into something more ambitious?

As for ads, I have them switched off. However, since they're separated from the discussion posts themselves, you can't really compare them to signatures anyway.

Mirun
02-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Sorry mate, but your example there doesn't change my opinion at all. Having loads of images sandwiched between posts looks absolutely terrible and does ruin the flow of discussion, and that's over and above my personal dislike for them. With all due respect, I see nothing admirable nor impressive about taking other people's artwork, sticking a username into it and cropping it. To be absoutely honest, I don't think that image is very good at all. Why not put your time and energy into something more ambitious?

As for ads, I have them switched off. However, since they're separated from the discussion posts themselves, you can't really compare them to signatures anyway.

Wasn't images layered together nor was it someone else's image cropped out and just sticking a username to it.
I made the background with painted layers on Artrage and then used gimp to give it a more unpainted look. Her image was blurred and used lighting effects to give an underwater look. And I gave her the bubbles.

I give credit to the artist who made the image. However this is my interpratation of their original image, this is my way to express admiration for such work.

And I do backgrounds. That's about it. Said a thousand times before I can't draw. Trees they don't look like trees. However, I know lighting, I know colours and I know how to paint.

You may think that image up there was easy to do. Yet the background took me about an hour to complete in itself. Then the image took me about another hour. And then I contrasted the lighting of each other. Used the rule of thirds and made the font.

And I did the font myself as well.

Edit: However I wasn't going to use something such as that signature as my own work. It's simply my little way of showcasing my admiration for others works in my signatures. Like little artistic shout outs.

leigh
02-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Look, I'm sorry but you and I are not going to agree on this. You may have made some additions to the image but you're still taking someone else's work and taking credit for it simply because you added some stuff in. To be brutally honest, I could have done that image in less than 15 minutes. And please understand, I'm not trying to knock you here, I just don't agree that this is art or that it really deserves any serious attention. Signatures may be all the rage on some other sites but I can't think of a single serious art site that will allow them or consider them an acceptable artform, especially considering artist's ownership rights, which is an issue taken very seriously by artists.

You keep saying you can't draw. Well why not start learning? If you're feeling a creative urge then you should develop it instead of wasting your time with signatures. Anyone can learn to draw if they are dedicated enough. We have plenty of help around for people who want to learn drawing and are keen to evolve as artists.

Mirun
02-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Look, I'm sorry but you and I are not going to agree on this. You may have made some additions to the image but you're still taking someone else's work and taking credit for it simply because you added some stuff in. To be brutally honest, I could have done that image in less than 15 minutes. And please understand, I'm not trying to knock you here, I just don't agree that this is art or that it really deserves any serious attention. Signatures may be all the rage on some other sites but I can't think of a single serious art site that will allow them or consider them an acceptable artform, especially considering artist's ownership rights, which is an issue taken very seriously by artists.

You keep saying you can't draw. Well why not start learning? If you're feeling a creative urge then you should develop it instead of wasting your time with signatures. Anyone can learn to draw if they are dedicated enough. We have plenty of help around for people who want to learn drawing and are keen to evolve as artists.

I did say I made the background. The background was all me. All original. The image was modified slightly with contrast, lighting, and blurring.

I could try to learn how to draw from this site. I'm mean my original reason coming here was to get better at being an artist. Just be patient is the problem. Many people assume I can do more then what I can.

Where would you suggest I go to up on my drawing?

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2010, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.