PDA

View Full Version : Good to posture to draw/ & paint digital

kevline
02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi,
I don't know if it's the good section here.
I want to ask you what's your good position to draw ? Because I bought a drawing board that help me for neck pain but now when the board is inclined, I got now some pains in my shoulder (the one I use to draw). Of course now I thinking about a chair because mine is very simple and not ergonomic (to stay many hours), but I don't know which kind is good and if that's going to change.
And where you put your tablet when .you paint dig ? in the desk, chair, knee ?
If you have some suggestions, pics or your desk (for 'inspiration'), I'm opened.
Thank you

vapsman88
02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi Kevin,

You also may want to take a break every couple of hours and take a walk and/or do stretching exercises, that helps me.
I use a chair that has good back support while on the computer and the desk has a slide out tray for the tablet, but I angle the tablet from the tray to the edge of the top of the desk.
As for traditional drawing I use a desktop easel angled about 60 deg up and try to keep a good posture in my back. also looking away from your work to refocus your eyes every half an hour helps with eyestrain.

John

Lunatique
02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
vapsman88 pretty much said it all. I actually have a pretty extensive section about health issues for artists in my workshop (see my signature), where I discuss chair choices, eye strain, wrist/forearm stretching exercises to prevent carpel tunnel syndrome, neck/shoulder/back stretching exercises, proper pen grip, and so on.

I always make sure to have arm rests that are of proper height (flush with your desk), and then rest the the tablet on the edge of the desk at an angle (alternative would be a deep desk that allows you to push your chair all the way in so your tummy is touching the edge of the desk and your arms are resting on the desk. A deep desk is required since your monitor/keyboard/mouse would need to be pushed in as well. L-shaped desk makes that arrangement very easy if you sit at the inner angle of the desk, with your arms resting on the two wings of the L shape). A good ergonomic chair is so extremely important and it's one of the most crucial investments you could ever make--not just as an artist, but for your health, period. Proper rest and stretching for your neck/shoulder/arms/wrists/hand are also very important, as is proper eye rest.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.