PDA

View Full Version : Lilith Concept Art

PhoenixFlame
02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
*This is my own interpretation of Lilith

Character Profile:

Lilith is a dangerous seductress, she is the first wife of Adam from the Bible. She is associated with snakes and is herself, snake like (her mother is a snake while her father is a human). She lives in a cave with her support character, Allistair, the snake. Allistair is treated like a pet, however he is also a useful spy to Lilith. Lilith rewards Allistair for his good work.

When Lilith is seen feeding Allistair, it is a sign that a new male target has been spotted. Lilith first seduces the male victim, then she coils herself around him, strangling him to death. Lilith's anger towards men started after the neglect of her own father. This was then followed by Adam leaving her for Eve. As she felt cut off from the human world, she took to living with snakes.

I just recently created this for University. However I would really like some proper critique on it because

a. I want to know if/how I've gone wrong so I can work on it... and...
b. whether I should be showing this to professionals

I am definitely looking for criticism... so if there's something you don't like, point it out :D

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6804/lilithfinal.jpg

Rabid1
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey PhoenixFlame, wanted to give you a few thoughts on your concept here.

First, I like your character design and treatment of her accessories considering the story behind it. The pose is good and snake-like but there are few issues going on. There are a couple anatomy issues with her arms and hands. Also her hips are not proportionate to one another. Furthermore, her face shading seems a little off. I would suggest using a female reference photo in the exact pose you are drawing to help you make sure all the body parts are correct. This step is better done in the very beginning so you don't get to the end of the process and find these errors. However, its never too late to fix a drawing and that is the beauty of digital art.

Second, I don't think the background image is working for you here. The color/texture distracts from the character and really doesn't relate to it either. Maybe you were going for a red/green color combo but i think you may be able to improve it.

The shading and overall coloring is well done. She may benefit from a few well placed highlights on the skin to give her more form.

I think it is a great start. If you are planning to interview for a concept artist position i would hold off with this image until you have completed it. Remember, quality is more important than quantity. Anyway good luck with this and i hope you can gain something from my post.

PhoenixFlame
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2174/lilithcorrections.jpg

Hi Rabid1 thank you so much for your help! I felt a little silly when I realised I didn't use any photographic reference for this... you'd have thought I'd have learnt by now ;-)

So I got my sister to do the pose, who told me it was impossible... lol. So I have reworked it to try and make it possible.

I have made the arms longer and added hands, made the legs slightly longer, turned them more forwards (particularly the left). I've tried to improve the hips and the face.

I thought I'd leave it rough incase it needs more changes. I'll put more highlights on the skin once I've sorted this anatomy.

Oh and yeah I changed the background and just put a plain gradient on for now, but I'm thinking of putting something in the background to set the scene and mood.

But thanks Rabid1 when you pointed all that stuff out it seemed obvious!

Below is the reference picture I have used:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4650/018mr.jpg

RebeccaSx
02-23-2010, 12:15 AM
break the body into shapes to help get it into proportion. Lengthen the legs so she doesn't stand in an impossible pose :-) hope this helps

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/rebeccasx/lilithcorrectionscopy.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2010, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.