PDA

View Full Version : XSI _ Demo_Hot keys

CANIM8
05-21-2002, 02:28 PM
I've been using max 3 and 4 for about a year. I just got the xsi demo and I'm looking for a quickstart to modeling something.

I haven't spent much time on the videos or probing through the help files yet..haven't had that much time.

***Anyone know of a link to a list of hotkeys for modeling in xsi**** I don't care about any other aspect of the program right now...just want a quickstart for modeling a character

**Max (turning edges, tesselation, chamfer bevel, dividing edges, dividing poly's)

**Softimage xsi (??, ?? ,??, ?? , ?? )***

Help ..

meloncully
05-21-2002, 07:56 PM
well here are the ones i know:

HOtkeys:

hold s down and L+click to pan, m+click to truck and r+click to orbit

move- v
rotate- c
scale- x

then raycast face is u
edge selection is "e" i think

then when modeling to make your life easier when modeling, when you have faces selected or whatever, if you right click on the faces or edges or whatever selected, a list of commands that can be done for that element will show up and you can click them.

Atyss
05-21-2002, 08:33 PM
**Max (turning edges, tesselation, chamfer bevel, dividing edges, dividing poly's)

You will access most of these functions in XSI by holding Alt and right-clicking on a part you want to apply the operation.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Felixx
05-21-2002, 11:57 PM
go to File --> Keyboard mapping ... most if not all of the modelling commands are found in the XSI section. Press "View in Browser" and have a look. Remap all of your favorite modeling commands to the max equivalent or to your liking.
The shortcuts are listed just beside the command directly in the UI too.

If you are in add edge mode ( \ ) keep ( ctrl ) depressed ... it splits your edge right in the middle. You donīt have to connect it ... just use the MMB to cancel.

For dividing polys itīs ( [ )

Does tesselation refer to local subdivision? Maybe you want to elaborate on this. Donīt know what turn edges is for too. Flip normals?

Felix

raffael3d
05-22-2002, 09:47 AM
hope you already discovered the S key to navigate, I hope you have a three button mouse, because you will need it and it saves a lot of time.

CANIM8
05-22-2002, 07:18 PM
:beer: Thanks for you help fellaz..I'll post my first xsi character here when I'm finished modeling it.

I appreciate all of your help...feel free to post any other workflow tricks or misc. modeling suggestions here as well.

Thanks again!

Clay

Atyss
05-22-2002, 09:51 PM
@@@@
feel free to post any other workflow tricks or misc. modeling suggestions here as well.
@@@@

Well, since you open the door, I STRONGLY recommend that you use the 3 selection options at the bottom of the Selection menu, and that you disable sticky keys your User Preferences (under the Interaction tab).

This will allow, while you are under a function, to temporily enter another function just by holding down a key. You will then exit this temporary state by releasing the key. Imho, this is the best possible workflow, especially for modelling.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

CANIM8
05-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Bernard:

Thanks for the tips...Please, if you have time, continue with any ideas or suggestions regarding workflow, interface, rendering..anything at all that might ease the transition from Max to Softimage.

By the way..the work on your site is beautiful..I'd love to know how long it took you to model and light The Temple. I'd really like to see the scene files...just to study your technique. Very nice work. :bowdown:

Thanks again to everyone!

Best regards,

Clay

Atyss
05-23-2002, 05:36 PM
@@@@
Thanks for the tips...Please, if you have time, continue with any ideas or suggestions regarding workflow, interface, rendering..anything at all that might ease the transition from Max to Softimage.
@@@@

Well there is not much more to add now. As you will learn the software you will find your own techniques.

@@@@
By the way..the work on your site is beautiful..I'd love to know how long it took you to model and light The Temple. I'd really like to see the scene files...just to study your technique. Very nice work. :bowdown:
@@@@

Thanks a lot! Modeling was pretty fast, since it consists mostly of cylinders, chamfered cylinders and boxes. The real job was texturing and lighting. It took my 1 week to texture (gigantic files), and 2 days to lights. Plus 2 more weeks to render (an hour and a half per frame, plus modifications). There also editing made in After Effects (mostly the glows and the composting of all volumic effects).
I'll send you the scene when I have time.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.