PDA

View Full Version : ubernoob needs help

kreadreams
02-14-2010, 08:26 PM
hi all, can anyone link me to a vue specific tutorial, or even an easy-to-understand graph/physics lesson on how to animate a ball bouncing?

specifically it needs to travel 1 metre, dropped-thrown from a height of about 0.5 metre, then it needs to roll gently to a stop. not too interested in squash and stretch as its supposed to be a cannonball-type object.

ive searched high and low and its all maya/max/flash/ae etc, i know this is an animation 101 topic, but i really need help.

i found the geekatplay 'bouncing ball' tut but its no way technical enough about parabolic arcs or calculus/equations for specific measures and the results look terrible.

thx in advance

InfernalDarkness
02-18-2010, 01:09 AM
I don't believe Vue has active or passive rigid bodies (collisions), and certainly no dynamic physics. You'll have to keyframe the transforms manually, including rotation.

In Maya this would be a one-minute ordeal to setup, but Vue's not really made for this kind of animation.

kreadreams
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Many thanks for the reply, rotation wasn't an issue but yes I had to key it all in manually using guesswork. I decreased the arcs' distances and heights by 70 percent each time, ignoring stretch and squish cos of the material of the ball. The results, I think, are not too bad for my first time (little bit of artificiality and i couldnt get close enough to the final couple of bounces) but its been a reminder to me to try and get serious i.e LEARN Maya and/or Max and stop relying on a terrain and vegetation generator for everything. My problem is that vue is really really user-friendly and for a beginner like me, that's just so tempting. I open up either of the Autodesk products and it's just...Daunting.

thx Infernal and your comments on the sequence are most welcome:

http://exposureroom.com/members/KreaDreams/a9931d8e8903441a89d180b138455f89/
(http://exposureroom.com/members/KreaDreams/509940bed2ed40a3b10fd62c4b03bd27/)

Mike.H
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
actually, unless my memory fails me, caldwell has a python script for vue which will create a pretty good bouncing ball simulation for you, or other similar setups.

kreadreams
02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
actually, unless my memory fails me, caldwell has a python script for vue which will create a pretty good bouncing ball simulation for you, or other similar setups.

hey mike, thnx for the heads-up on the mark caldwell scripts, lots of useful stuff there

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.