PDA

View Full Version : Best format for editing video

Sybexmed
02-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know what the best format for editing video is? I hear XDCAM EX 1080p is pretty good? What is your work flow for importing video straight from your camera and going to work.

PaulDeSilva
02-14-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm confused. Are you talking about the best way to edit video in After Effects. Regardless of footage format, editing in AE is just silly. If you're going to do it anyway, you might as well bring in your footage as raw and uncompressed as possible because whether it's HD or 320x240 video, AE isn't going to cut it (pun intended).

suztv
02-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Usually I import video into a video editing program like Final Cut - AVID is good too I hear ;) . From Final Cut I then export a QuickTime that I use in After Effects for postwork etc.

After Effects plays well with QuickTime, Image Sequences (TGA) and Uncompressed AVI. Depending on your platform computer specs etc. Obviously if you are using Red Camera or HD footage a less weighty codec is needed unless you like making your machine grind to a halt. Apple Pro-Res is really quite a good codec, although upon final export Uncompressed or Animation codec provides better colors etc. The codec you choose is up to you and your limitations or lack thereof.

BastianW
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
hi

if i do postwork in after effects i export it lossless - u get huge files but u donīt lose any information. if i need to export my stuff from avid (to use it in after effects) i export Avid DNxHD Codec with Resolution: 1080p/25 120 8-Bit - which works good for me. Sometimes i export XDCam EX 1080p which works too.

cya

Bastian

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.