PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason not to use 3d paint for game textures?

Bouke285
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I've been messing around texturing a few little props for practice and I remembered photoshop cs4 has new 3d paint tools. My question is if I have the tools is there any reason I shouldn't use this process to paint some of my textures such as diffuse and spec rather then the standard painting over the uv layout or ambient occlusion map? thanks

PredatorGSR
02-13-2010, 12:45 AM
I tried it when it first came out and wasn't too impressed. Seemed more useful for graphic design work than game texturing, primarily because it can't render normal maps and doesn't have lighting, so it isn't an accurate preview.

If it works for you, no reason not to use it, just don't become reliant on any one specialized tool because when you're at a studio you use what they use, and there's no guarantee they'll have your preferred program.

My last job used cs2, so that wasn't an option anyway.

EricChadwick
02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree you generally use what the studio uses, primarily for interoperability, someone else on the team needs to be able to edit your source files if you're out or too busy.

But, if you get a real gain from using 3D paint, you can usually advocate they purchase a seat of the software. Lots of artists use ZBrush, Body Paint 3D, 3D Coat, Mudbox, or CS4 for 3D paint, and in my experience the popularity is roughly in that order. I personally only use 3D paint for seams, I still prefer CS3, for ease of use and performance. YMMV

Bouke285
02-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, I have been trying out 3d paint in both zbrush and cs4 over the last day or 2 and I have to say I like them both for different things. according to what I've seen so far Cs4 is awesome for removing seams especially on normal maps. Being able to paint away the corners like they don't even exist and the use of the clone stamp which would be almost impossible on a complex mesh using the standard method. I'm still learning Zbrush I bought it a few months ago and I love how you can do both your sculpting and painting at the same time if you wish. The only problem is removing seems in zbrush seems to be more difficult and you can't just open up your flat texture map and edit it like you can in photoshop. But I think they are both great for different things.

One more question as I've said before I'm working in UDK and am looking for the best way to create specular maps on a model. This is one aspect of texturing i haven't really even touched very heavily and can't seem to find a good tutorial on the proper work flow. Any tips?

Thanks!

SpiralFace
02-13-2010, 05:59 PM
One more question as I've said before I'm working in UDK and am looking for the best way to create specular maps on a model. This is one aspect of texturing i haven't really even touched very heavily and can't seem to find a good tutorial on the proper work flow. Any tips?
Thanks!

This is the exact reason why I don't tend to like the 3d paint packages as good as old fashioned photoshop painting for texture work.

The issue I have with many 3d paint software is the lack of layers for painting, and even the software that does use layers, either don't give you blending options or the options don't give good results.

Getting good spec maps is super easy in photoshop. A layer I used as an overlay layer on my color texture can be flipped over to a multiply layer for my Specular texture, I can invert things that should be dark in the diffuse but light in the spec (Like scratches on metal.) and just so many other things that current 3d paint packages cannot do.

Don't get me wrong. I heavily enjoy painting in 3d Paint packages, but there are many limitations and things that they currently do that prevents me from using them to their full potential. The amount of time I save on not worrying about texture seems, and blocking out color does not compare to the time it takes me to basically hand paint or do a complete re-do on spec shaders. So until they get good layering systems with some GOOD uses of composite layers, I don't see myself really using them for anything besides just personal projects.

EricChadwick
02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
A couple good guides for specular.
Creating Models in Quake 4 (http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_CreatingModels#head-4152af2ebdcdf51e21eaf84fd7ea3f511a7a1fab) by Raven Software (http://www.ravensoft.com/)
Hard Surface Texture Painting (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024) by Stefan Morrell (http://stefan-morrell.cgsociety.org/gallery/)

Stonepilot
02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
I think someone pointed out that you should use it, if it works for you. I've used it and it is very handy for seams painting etc....

one thing that you do have to remember is that, when ever you're at a studio, you don't really depend on what a computer monitor displays as far as color,spec, normal maps, mainly because, your engine will interpret them entirely diff. The way my normal maps look inside maya do not really show what the engine we're using displays them as. Also the colors will do weird things, meaning they'll be darker or lighter, etc..... but if it works for you use it, you don't need anyone's validation if it works, k now what i mean.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.