PDA

View Full Version : Heat distortion following 707

Trebeck
02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey all,

I have a shot of a 707 flying above the clouds and I want to create heat distortion coming from the engines. I've used Particular to create the motion and so far I'm really happy with it. Except it's white smoke, not clear heat. How can I turn it transparent and distort anything behind it? What's the last step I'm missing?
I have Trapcode/Sapphire and all the regular in box effects.

http://www.trebeck.ca/CG/707.jpg

scrimski
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Use an emitter emitting red and green particles, not smoke. The red/green particles can be used to shift pixels in x (red)and y (green)based on their. Not sure about the exact name for that filter though, should be in Distorsions.

Trebeck
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
OK I'm pretty much there. I made the cloud red/green and comped it. I then put an adjustment layer on the comp and added the displacement map. The only thing left this that it's distorting the edges of the cloud not the center, but I think I'll live.
Displacement at the higher numbers really looks wrong so I'm stuck using subtle settings.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.