PDA

View Full Version : HD Video File size

Sybexmed
02-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm rendering out about 4000 frames (1.40) of HD footage and my file size is huge! If i render out an AVI it's 7GB. A .MOV is 15GB. Yesterday i rendered out a color graded movie of the same sequence and it is only 530MB.. I'm not sure what i did to render it this way. Does anyone know how i can minimize my file size? And what settings i'm not using correctly? Also, what settings should i apply for web output?

ToddKopriva
02-10-2010, 11:39 PM
You didn't say anything about what codecs you're using. MOV and AVI are just container file formats; they can contain video and audio data encoded with any of a vast number of different encoders. Some encoders compress video to be very small; some encoders compress video such that all quality is preserved, but the file size isn't reduced by much. The defaults for MOV and AVI out of After Effects are Animation and No Compression---both of which can be huge. They're excellent for intermediate files; but they're terrible for distribution and viewing over the Web, since that's not what they're for.

See "Encoding and compression options for movies" (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79d0a.html).

If you're encoding movies for web output, consider FLV or F4V. See "Render and export a composition as an FLV or F4V file" (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS6B8C949E-7182-4cb3-A4EA-A237BB4EB968.html).

PaulDeSilva
02-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Like Kopriva said, there are hundreds of ways to encode your file. But, if you're looking the right answers, H.264 is the common way to go for web video. For instance, trailers you would download from apple trailers are encoded with H.264. It all depends on how you want to present your film. Vimeo has fairly good results for keeping quality while getting your vid to stream if you're looking to just get the right settings automatically created for you. In any case, you'll want to downres to probably 720p max. You should be able to get a 3 minute video at 720p down to 150MBish with decent quality.

Sybexmed
02-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Thanks guys this worked out for me. Although H.264 was not listed as an option in AE i had to use Quicktime PRO and worked out just fine. Now i can actually play my videos in widows media player without any buffering... You mention down resing to 720p for web, while vimeo and youtube both have 1080 capability. Is there a reason?

PaulDeSilva
02-11-2010, 05:38 AM
While the percentage of people with 2k across monitors is slowly increasing, the majority of people out there are probably running somewhere around 1280x1024. If your key demographic is other people in the graphics industry, then go for a full HD version. But if you're trying to cater to the average audience, 720p will do just fine. No one is going to complain if they have to fullscreen 720 to 1080 and it's just another way to help save you that filesize.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2010, 05:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.