PDA

View Full Version : How about a Biped UV Projection tool?

BRUTICUS
08-31-2003, 06:19 AM
I mean wouldn't this be nice?

If you could use lattices or a cube mesh to control multiple planes. Im sure its possible. No software that I know of has this. And it would make things a lot smoother.

dmcgrath
09-01-2003, 06:47 AM
I don't understand what you mean. Write this out in MEL?

kamsvag
09-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by BRUTICUS
I mean wouldn't this be nice?

If you could use lattices or a cube mesh to control multiple planes. Im sure its possible. No software that I know of has this. And it would make things a lot smoother.

I realy don't foolow your idea here... Could you please explain it further?:blush:

BRUTICUS
09-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Sorry I guess I didn't explain what I mean properly.

It would probably be best for game characters. But Just as if you have a cylindrical model and you use the cylinderical projection to start off UV mapping it with. With a Biped or human Character you would use the Biped Projection.

Basically you project it onto your character, and it gives you a box representation around your character. You scale the different parts and limbs to properly fit your model and voila. You have a solid layout for your texture map. It projects averything into the UV space the same was as always. The head will be projected a little bigger than the rest of the body and placed in the upper right corner,.. etc,...

That make sense? Or do you think it is possible?

dmcgrath
09-02-2003, 04:29 AM
Ive never dived into MEL to see what the Automatic mapping function does, but that is about the best you are going to get, unless you make a plug-in. I can see how this might be a nice thing, but sometimes the blood, sweat and tears way is the only way to go. Cut and paste of UV's can be a huge pain, but it does get easier after a few tries.

BRUTICUS
09-02-2003, 04:33 AM
the real beauty of this I believe is that it would standardize how UV mapping is done. It might be messy and you will have to go through its layout and fix it up but you will get better at doing this and it would be faster the more you did it. I dont know maybe it isn't possible simply with MEL

jdj
09-05-2003, 07:07 AM
Hi Bruticus

Probably feasable to do for an avid plugin programmer, but the main problem would be how to identify which part goes where from a plugin point of view. How would it know where to stop mapping the head and start with the torso etc.

Perhaps some kind of multiple box setup would work like you describe, but I don't think that you can avoid some manual face selection at the edges. But this approach is close to the built in features of Maya where you can project UV coordinates on selected faces only.

Perhaps a MEL script would do it for you where cylindrical projections slaved to unrendering cylinders linked in a biped-like fashion is created. Then (perhaps) you would be able to pose the cylinder skeleton around your mesh and get it to map it.

Just my $0.02 - never tested and I don't really have the opportunity to try it out right now - might do in the future though.

Cheers!
/ Daniel
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.