PDA

View Full Version : Character Inspired By 'the Incredibles', Frogchild (3D)

frogchild
08-31-2003, 03:35 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2211/tinker_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2211/tinker.jpg)

My latest. Inspired by Brab Bird's/Pixar's Incredibles trailer. I wondered what other inhabitants of that world would look like.

first image
http://www.frogchildren.com/Art/Art3d/tinker.jpg

getting better
http://www.frogchildren.com/temp/tinker4.jpg

C + C welcome. I'm still going to be working on him so it will make a difference. Thanks guys.

JHarford
08-31-2003, 03:36 AM
Brilliant work kevin , very talented :) .
like the use of DOF and the expression on his face.
more more more :)

d8ed
08-31-2003, 03:44 AM
good work there. as far as a critique is concerned.. i'd work on the gloves/skull cap material a bit more. that or set some more specular lights on it. something to make it stand out and show the geometry more. the light bulb is cool but doesnt look quite right. if you can see the filament it's clear glass and it shouldnt be yellow and glow like that.

overall a very inspiring piece of work :thumbsup:

tongplai
08-31-2003, 08:20 AM
The rendering look great !! I really like it. Did you rendering with any kind of Global illumination something? or it just your own lighting? Great work !!

ThirdEye
08-31-2003, 08:34 AM
You need to look at ILM's short "work in progress", there's a character which is almost identical to yours, great work tho :)

http://www.ilm.com/ilmshorts.html

sixthe45
08-31-2003, 11:55 AM
ingenious;)

:)

stallion151
08-31-2003, 12:38 PM
yeh i think it looks similar to that, but still a great character.

Savage_Henry
08-31-2003, 01:10 PM
Looks fantastic!!

the whiff of hair is a little odd though...doesn't look old enough to be sporting long white locks...

Other than that...I'm down :thumbsup:

Nixon
08-31-2003, 01:37 PM
I like the character, although there's something that doesn't feel quite right.

Don't know what it is, but I just may suggest that you think more on what he is, what he does, where he's been, etc. Then, perhaps you will add or take smth. which will make him even more convincing.

Anyway, good luck!

kotter
08-31-2003, 02:19 PM
verry good and inspiering work :thumbsup:

could you show a wireframe ?

Ac0rN
08-31-2003, 02:22 PM
man thats F****** Awesome , just simply great work ! I also cant wait for the Incredibles ;) and yea it also Reminds me of the short "Work in progress" by ILM

:thumbsup:

what softwear used?

stenarts
08-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Ha ha ha, great image so far but hey one thing i would love to suggest. His Face looks younger then his grey hair suggest. It comes probable from his eyebrows...when you give him some grey or black eyebrows it would fit much better with his grey hair.

Sorry but this is just a suggestion no critic...

maybe Im wrong there are anyway many possibilities and ways for such a design and all are interesting.

STEN ;)

Pinionist
08-31-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm just after watching "Finding Nemo" and this is truly, as sea turtles sais: Awesome Dude - Totaly
But I agree with the others - this dude looks a much more younger that his hairs looks like. And yeah, the bulb isn't right - please work on that :)
And I would love to see some speculars and shades on gloves and his cap. Really, there is no material in reality that black as on your (lovely ;) ) rendering.

pOiNtPuShEr
08-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Great work! I agree the the comment above regarding the lightbulb material. The only othe crit I might have is that the deformation in the crook of his arm could be a bit less sharp. It seems to lose volume a little. Other than that, absolutly fantastic stuff... What did you use for hair? And can we see some wires pllllleeeaaassseee!!!

P.S. He does not really remind me so much of the ILM dude (except perhaps his wardrobe) but he really reminds me of "Doc" from back to the future.... OUTSTANDING work man!

???
08-31-2003, 03:22 PM
cool scientist

Incrediblah
08-31-2003, 03:38 PM
looks awesome except for his chin i think. looks a little sharp on the sides maybe? good stuff though

Irratio
08-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Btw just read the previous comments -
:beer: @ Third Eye, STEN and Incrediblah...

Nicely catched personality. My first impression besides the similiraty with the Incredibles character was that your's here and the mad scientist from ILM's Work in Progress (http://www.ilm.com/insideilm.html) ressemble one another additionally in the outfit and the way the hair here reminded me of the genius' trail of smoke following the mad scientist from Work in Progress.

The following is only my opinion:

Plus: :
The spectacles on his head add motion to the pose.
The figure's shadow in the right of the background connects it to the background which also makes the scene more motionlike.
The blur and the pose of the right hand do the same.
The illuminated shape round the character gives stability to the image which makes the character more easy to regard.

Minus::
The chin looks rather like gouraud than cartoon shading. Perhaps a little more cartoon furrows on the side?
The hair seems like its not connected to the head, perhaps because of the contrast. If you think the grey hair is necessary I would hint it with hair coming out from under his cap on the side and the front. But I think that wouldn't fit the age of the character.
The idea avove the head a bit more cartoon brighter and bigger?
I don't know what the little translucent cube beside his left eye should represent.

I hope this is helpful for you and *keep up the good work* :rolleyes:.

chris_b
08-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Excellent work!

This kind of stylized 'photoreal-cartoon' 3D is a welcome change from
the straight up photo-real we are so used to seeing around. The character
reminds me of Bill Buxton, formerly the chief scientist at Alias:

http://www.tactex.com/images/BillBuxton.gif

C&C: The deformation on the left elbow looks a little funky and the materials,
apart from the hair (which looks great) could use some work. One thing that really struck me about the incredibles trailer was the nice soft, really subtle SSS (but not 'waxy') look of the skin.

Any chance you could post your Level-0 wire, I'd love to see how you went about getting those nice sharp creases around the nose.

stenarts
08-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by dannyboy

P.S. He does not really remind me so much of the ILM dude (except perhaps his wardrobe) but he really reminds me of "Doc" from back to the future.... OUTSTANDING work man!

You right dannyboy, now suddenly its clear for me why i fall in love to this cool character...no wonder as a old fan of Back to the Future.

I would llove as well to know how the hair was made and to get some wires...

Irratio was giving you a few cool ideas of how to modify your image a bit more which is great help for you. I hope you understand all the coments as suggestion how to make your great work much more outstanding as it already is...

Great Work, dont let us wait to long for more we cant wait we are impatient now...

;)

mushroomgod
08-31-2003, 04:56 PM
realy good!

cant realy fault it :thumbsup:

Levitateme
08-31-2003, 05:32 PM
The face is really good. I really like the whole design of him, great job. Does his mouth move? Can you post a wirefram , i would just like to see his face is all.

TWooster
08-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Oh, I love it. Great character.

There's just a few things that bug me: You might want to change the light coming from the front -- the shadow his hand casts on his chin kind of removes the chiseled look.

The hair doesn't quite look attached... I dunno how to fix that except for a slightly different camera angle.

And finally, the left elbow is a bit funky, as has been said.

Alright, now, on to the worshipping:

Supurb style, colors and everything. Lovely.

-Tony

smfjersey
08-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Way to go man. You just keep getting better. Is this LW?
You brilliant bastard.

John Adams

Indigo
08-31-2003, 07:05 PM
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

more more

gigatron
08-31-2003, 08:38 PM
I liked inspector gadget :) Reminds me of that. I like it. Looks like a funny character that would be in a good pixar/disney 3d movie :)

Tim Deneau
08-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Great character.

Maybe add some faint creases/wrinkles to convey that he is a bit older.

phoenix
08-31-2003, 09:12 PM
very nice work.................any change of more views:thumbsup:

off-center
08-31-2003, 09:55 PM
very cool, can you show us some wires

ZVAN
08-31-2003, 10:11 PM
wow.. great work welldone!

frogchild
08-31-2003, 10:26 PM
Wow, thanks everybody for the feedback. I've gotten some really good direction as to where to take the character next.
My wife is standing over my shoulder pointing to your comments say "see, told you that, told you that."

I actually didn't think he felt like the guy from "Work In Progress" so much as Chris Lloyd from "Back to the Future" or maybe for some reason John Malkovich.

I'll get the wires up soon enough.

http://www.frogchildren.com/temp/grunt34.JPG

right on about the shadow TWooster, I'll adjust the light
Everyone's right about the elbow deformation, get righton that...
And the hair to will under go some tweaks. Hair shaders are a huge pain, but worth it. Subtle wrinkles will be added too, but no so much as to take it out of the cartoon look that I was trying to go for. Again thanks very much for all the feedback. It really helps me out a lot.

Larry_g1s
09-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Oh man...great job! I could totally see him and his character on the big screen. :thumbsup:

Animate him, animate him, animate him....

emar
09-01-2003, 12:31 AM
Good Job Frogchildren , i like very much.....
congratulation...
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Anim8rJB
09-01-2003, 01:09 AM
Kevin - looks awesome. Great work!

Geco
09-01-2003, 02:08 AM
cool work! :)

facial
09-01-2003, 03:03 AM
Nice work, :thumbsup:
And nice character design, easy to animate, Ahahahah

gnarlycranium
09-01-2003, 04:00 AM
He needs fuzzy grey eyebrows!!

It took me a minute to realize that grey swoosh behind his head was his hair, it doesn't seem quite integrated with his face-- some eyebrows would fix that real quick.

Evenflow
09-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Great stuff, it's hard to tell from the second picture whether you tweaked the light on his head or not.

I think adding some wrinkles to his face will help a lot.
Can't wait to see the wires.

bentllama
09-01-2003, 06:46 AM
Nice work Kevin.

As far as C+C goes... in my opinion it looks as if his shoulders and elbows and waistline could benefit with some creasing/folds in the cloth...I know this is a more stylized figure, but the creases/folds will help get rid of the "rubber elbow" look in the first screen you posted...they would help define areas of articulation and make it feel like a heavy labcoat and not akin to spandex...

shujumy
09-01-2003, 08:44 AM
congratulation. :thumbsup:

jokku
09-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Very great work you did pal ! :thumbsup:

But for the hair... it seems like they aren't attach to the head... may be if you put some in front of his ear and more to hide a little the back of the helmet that might resolve the problem ;)

Besides that, the overall is really something :)

CuTnPaste
09-01-2003, 10:07 AM
really good model, but it seems to be similar to the ILM character...the mad scientist in the shortmovie called "work in progress".

:beer:

paulogm
09-01-2003, 11:17 AM

amazing, incredible... congratulations!

NNNSlogan
09-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by frogchild
My latest. Inspired by Brab Bird's/Pixar's Incredibles trailer. I wondered what other inhabitants of that world would look like.

http://www.frogchildren.com/Art/Art3d/tinker.jpg

C + C welcome. I'm still going to be working on him so it will make a difference. Thanks guys.

I think it looks just wonderful. The design is great. I think maybe the depth of field blur is a little too much, but it's just a great character, great style. Please post more work as you go. I'd love to see more.

Vesuvando
09-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Good work is the least I can say.
My crit is the same than the other.
Get his face older.
And is he animated ?
:drool:
Waiting for this !

(and :annoyed: I have to work...guys on cgtalk are too good...

:p )

shadowkeeper
09-01-2003, 12:21 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

stenarts
09-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Yes, he would look great on a big screen...

...time to breathe life to him, would love as well to see some animation of him...

Listen to your wife... ;)

STEN

el_mone
09-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Cool !!
Please animate him.

agreenster
09-01-2003, 05:20 PM
SOFTWARE USED??

baby
09-01-2003, 07:12 PM
:applause:

agreenster
09-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Oh and one other thing--I think someone already mentioned shadows, but I also have a suggestion. The cast shadow ( I assume its a depth map shadow, since your website says you use Maya) needs either a higher resolution or higher filter. The egdes of the cast shadow are a bit chunky.

Make sure the DmapResolution is 1024 or higher and the Dmap Filter size is about 8 on your light. (maybe higher, depending on what res. you are rendering at)

Absolutely fantastic work though.

BTW: Are you using Maya Fur or Shave and a Haircut, or what?

Kel Solaar
09-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Nice Work :)

lildragon
09-02-2003, 02:19 AM
Nice character and nice style ala Pixar of course, but you sir have captured the essence of the style they're using very well. He does look a bit young for the age his hair is presuming him to be, but bah he's quite cool just the way he is. Nicely done

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Awespiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_sept03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Levitateme
09-02-2003, 02:29 AM
ah, your update. the gloves look great. i personally like him with the sleek eyebrows. he looks like a young scientist, just never sleeps or soemthing. lots of stress, that is why his hair is grey.

frogchild
09-02-2003, 02:44 AM
agreenster> It's an awful mess, I'm using a LW/Maya back and forth using poly trans to model, Maya to rig and animate (God willing) and Lightwave to render. So for the hair I'm using Saslight which isn't hearty enough to do some simple things I want to do. I'm sure the full version is much better.

lildragon> Wowie! I'm honestly very happy about this. thank you really very much.

As for animation... it depends how much free time I get?

http://www.frogchildren.com/temp/tinker3.jpg

http://www.frogchildren.com/temp/wire.jpg

Thanks everybody. This was a lot of fun.

Vesuvando
09-02-2003, 06:08 AM
:applause:

stenarts
09-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Hey now were we see the whole model Im more then impressed about your cool character and work.

If i would have any award to give i would do too...he he he

Congratulations...

And for animation i would say everyone should be proud to help you with animation, so let this be a cool community and offer this artists your help to get that crazy scientist running across our all screen.

;)

RYGUY182
09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
:buttrock:

ngrava
09-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Yeah, This is a really great design. It's got a whole lot of character. I have a question about your pipeline. I do something similar with a set of mel scripts called Maya2LW (you can find them at highend3d.com or flay.com in case you where wondering). So, you say you are using PolyTrans to model with? I thought that was a Maya translation plugin? I've been trying to find a better way to get my LW models into Maya. Do you know if PolyTrans can do this?

Thanks,

-=GB=-

frogchild
09-02-2003, 05:28 PM
oops.

frogchild
09-02-2003, 05:28 PM
ngrava> Yeap, Maya2LW works for my animation needs. I HIGHLY recomend PolyTrans, it works like a charm. It's a huge pain to licence and install, but it is an utter lifesaver. It keeps UV, texture information, it works really well.

stenarts>I might just put the call out and see if anyone wants to take a swing at animating him, I'll have to think about it.

Latest greatest...
http://www.frogchildren.com/temp/tinker4.jpg

LowEndFrequency
09-02-2003, 06:18 PM
simply amazing work here.

shadowkeeper
09-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Mad scientist walking arround? This is too serious! Dont let him go to any laboratory, or he will kick us off! :rolleyes: Lol
Let's just :beer: and wait for his animation. I'm waiting to see him moving his head arround. Congratulations!!! You are the Winner.:applause:

El Shadow

ngrava
09-03-2003, 02:17 AM
[B]ngrava> Yeap, Maya2LW works for my animation needs. I HIGHLY recomend PolyTrans, it works like a charm. It's a huge pain to licence and install, but it is an utter lifesaver. It keeps UV, texture information, it works really well.

stenarts>I might just put the call out and see if anyone wants to take a swing at animating him, I'll have to think about it.

Yeah! I'd love to take a crack at it. Maybe we could use him with the latest 10 Second Club audio file?

BTW He's looking better and better everyday. Very nice work Kevin. Oh, I do have one concern... I kind of feel like his suit is a bit to tight on his skin. Was that what you were going for? I'd like to see maybe a few wrinkles around the joints and such.

I don't know, what are your thoughts on this?

Also, You've inspired me so much that I think I'm going to have a go at making him a side kick. Would you prefer an Igor type? I was kind of thinking of the magicians assistaint ;-) A kind of tall, dopy looking blond girl type on the outside but with nurves of steel and Kung fu and all that. She does all the fighting when the doc's science doesn't quite cut it. ;-D Or maybe a huge Hulking Olf that only understands short commands. And, you can't see his eyes because his forehead and brow hang so low. :D

Hmmm... Now what the heck would they look like in order to fit them into his world?

-=GB=-

frogchild
09-03-2003, 06:04 PM
ngrava> what's the 10 second club?

wrinkles are the way to go, I should and will get to it.

If I were to guess a sidekick I would think along the lines of what Paul Dini did for Batman TAS and give him a young pretty female sidekick, like Harley Quinn or Mercy. Check you the Batman TAS stuff if you're not familiar with it.

As for the style, I don't know it there is a simple way to explain it. Lots of straights against curves in the face, lots of extreme angles, almost engineered, as though it were a car or ladies shaver. And of course, character, character, character.

From the beginning, figure out as much as you can about the character. Where they're from, what they do, who are they're parents, what they like and don't. Be able to mentally picture the character before you ever put pen to paper.

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback.

Frinsklen
09-03-2003, 06:59 PM
whoa...

Excellent character design, I really dig the style. Composition and lighting look really good too. I'd love to add something useful but I'm afraid I can't. Maybe some more detail on the mouth? just being picky...

Great piece of work :thumbsup:

Tidus_44
09-03-2003, 07:28 PM
i really like the style your using, are you doin animations with it?

frogchild
09-03-2003, 11:28 PM
Hopefully soon, I'm finishing something else then going to get on his animations.

By the way everybody, I may be need of work soon as my contract at my current employer may be coming to an end. Any leads, please let me know. Thanks.

butchoi
09-24-2003, 05:51 AM
very cool scientist!

great work! :beer:

inaktive
10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
LOVE the character design... love the simplicity of the model... should be fun to animate,:buttrock:

ngrava
10-22-2003, 04:37 AM
ngrava> what's the 10 second club?

wrinkles are the way to go, I should and will get to it.

If I were to guess a sidekick I would think along the lines of what Paul Dini did for Batman TAS and give him a young pretty female sidekick, like Harley Quinn or Mercy. Check you the Batman TAS stuff if you're not familiar with it.

Hey Kevin,

You mean like this? http://www.frogchildren.com/Art/ArtMisc/Gothchic.jpg

Here's a link to the 10 second club website: http://www.10secondclub.net/

It's kind of fun.

michaeldaubert
10-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Great character..it also has that feel of ILMs animation they put out a couple years ago..

Cant wait for animation..now now now!
hehehe

great job!

elfufu
10-23-2003, 05:09 PM
id get rid of the hair

Climax
10-24-2003, 11:57 PM
did u animate it?

machsumo
09-18-2004, 01:29 AM
Hey Kevin,

I like this character design. Good job, and here are my criticisms if you would like them:

1. Your wrists and elbows look like they are collapsing/losing mass. I would try retaining that volume by blending in some sculpted shape.

2. Stylistically, I would err towards a more rounded chin (slightly). Specifically, it is the cheekbone line going all the way to the chin I feel could be better. Have you tried smoothing this without losing the nice caricature you have going?

3. If you could get some posing/fat into the upper cheeks, this would help the expression dramatically. (Making that mouth into a smirk would go really far).

4. The upper and lower arms look slightly stiff. What do you think of slightly warping them into a more pleasing shape (more graphic)?

Nice work, you should be proud.

machsumo

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.