PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Make A Tornado In Maya?

Cinematography
08-31-2003, 02:43 AM
Hello CGTalkers,

I have to make a tornado for a short film that I am doing, and Iím not completely sure about where to start. Should I use particles? If yes, how do I make the particles act like a tornado, with debris, dirt, and all of the other good stuff?

Sincerely,
Cinematography

BRUTICUS
08-31-2003, 03:57 AM
Create a curve in mayashaped like a stretched out slinky, but small at the bottom and larger at the top like a tornado, then extrude some sort of geometry along it. You want some type of geometry in that shape to emit particles from.

Emit particles from that object, something that looks like dust or couds. Then hide the tornado object. Set initial state on the particles and twist and turn, animate the tornado geometry. You can use a lattice on the geometry aswell to change the shape. I had great results doing this before after finding a tutorial. No idea where that tutorial is now tho.

wilson81
08-31-2003, 04:44 AM
making a tornado tutorial
hope it helps

http://www.mtmckinley.net/tut15.html]

BRUTICUS
08-31-2003, 04:44 AM
there she is :)

Cinematography
08-31-2003, 03:52 PM
You two are absolutely amazing! Thank you BRUTICUS very much, and thank you wilson81 very much for the instruction.
:buttrock:

Concept4
08-31-2003, 09:31 PM
If you are any good at expression writing a very realistic tornado can be created by controlling the goalU, goalV, and goallPP of particles which are birthed from and are goal to a tornado shaped geometry. I have a tornado animated this way on the beginning of my demo reel. If you want to have a look it's here
http://www.astralreality.com

--Ronnie

Cinematography
09-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Concept4
If you are any good at expression writing a very realistic tornado can be created by controlling the goalU, goalV, and goallPP of particles which are birthed from and are goal to a tornado shaped geometry. I have a tornado animated this way on the beginning of my demo reel. If you want to have a look it's here
http://www.astralreality.com

--Ronnie
I actually don't know anything about expressions right now. I could always learn though. Would the Maya Help file have enough information for me to get started on expression work? Or should I refer to a tutorial somewhere?

Thank you for the info.

Excellent tornado, by the way!
:applause:

Concept4
09-01-2003, 03:11 AM
The maya docs are an excellent source for learning expressions. Read the dynamics sections and expressions sections. That should give you plenty to play with. E-mail me if you have questions. ;p

--Ronnie

Cinematography
09-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Concept4
The maya docs are an excellent source for learning expressions. Read the dynamics sections and expressions sections. That should give you plenty to play with. E-mail me if you have questions. ;p

:beer:
Thank you. I'll out of town right now, and I'll be returning home in 6 days. At that time I will post an update on my progress with the tornado.

zachgrachan
09-06-2003, 01:05 AM
Concept4- I've been hearing about that tornado in class for months now, glad as hell to have finally seen it. I'm thinking about doing a whirlpool from underwater for my special fx project.

Concept4
09-06-2003, 03:59 AM
:)

Dan tell you or the lab instructors?

--Ronnie

zachgrachan
09-06-2003, 05:02 PM
dan's mentioned it a few times, and a couple of lab instructors have mentioned it too.

qingqingpark
09-11-2003, 03:31 PM
If 2D effects are enough.Try illusion.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.