PDA

View Full Version : making soft collisions with particles?

YanSan
02-10-2010, 12:45 PM
so i'm simulation a bunch of leaves falling and trying to get them not to go out of frame on the sides. i put up a wall on each side for the particles to collide with but i don't want it to look like it's hitting a wall(which it does currently). is there a way to make the collision with the wall softer or some cay to keep the particles in a confined space with out harsh collisions?

nathansims100
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
create a volume axis field and set it to along axis and make it a cube and set it as your wall.. that should keep them in.

dpeteuil
02-10-2010, 01:08 PM
that was a fast reply, thanks! i figured it was something simple. although i'm pretty clueless with particles/ dynamics, so i still can't get it to work. is there some more details that would help me. i selected the particles and applied the field and put along axis at 1, tried it with selecting the walls and applying the field, still looks the same.

nathansims100
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Heres an example

dpeteuil
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
thank you very much sir. i sort of feel stupid now, but it's all good.

dpeteuil
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
anyone know if there is a way to make the leaves that replace the particles bend a little while falling? or is that something that would have to be hand animated?

ginodauri
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
You can add add deformer to your instanced geometry.

There is on creative crash deformer called wooble , which is noise deformer.

With only one leaves/deformer instanced geometry , your leaves will behave all same way.

You need then to make several copies of leaves\deformer and offseting deformers.

Then you add all leaves in instancer node.Then you need to make expression with "custom" scalar particle attribute.(something like -attribute = `rand 0 "number of instanced objects"`-).

Then in particle instance frame you need to change objectIndex to yout custom attribute.

I hope this make sense :)

dpeteuil
02-11-2010, 03:48 AM
thanks for the info ginodauri. i think i understand how it's supposed to work, but i can't seem to figure out where the deformer is or how to apply it.

ginodauri
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
You can download deformer wooble on www.creativecrash.com.

Install deformer , and then it should be located in your create deformer menu,

dpeteuil
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
ha, i guess that would be why. i must have skipped over the word "on" in your previous post. thanks for the help, much appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.