PDA

View Full Version : geforce 3 or 4

aor
05-21-2002, 07:16 AM
ok, quick question.. i'm puttin tagether a new comp, trying to fig out the vid card.. i can only spend about 200 bux for it.. i was looking at a gf3 128mb.. the somebody told me that i should do the gf4.. unfortunately i can only afford the 64 mb one.. i'm looking for quality #1, speed #2. i can wait through renders, i just don't want the viewports chunky.... so i guess what i want to know is - what's the diff between gf3 and gf4? and is it worth an increase in $$$$ and a decrease in mb? or other thoughts? ok, thanks!

3DMadness
05-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Go get a GeForce4 Ti4200! You can find some for under $200 in www.pricewatch.com
In a GeForce3 it doesn't make much difference between 128mb and 64mb...
Cheers!

3D Madness

ZrO-1
05-21-2002, 03:35 PM
There is a huge amount of information to be found here in the T&H-Q forum. Especially about video cards...They're pro'lly the number one question asked here.

To answer your question breifly:
Yes there is a difference between SOME of the gf3's and gf4's. :surprised Confused yet? Just wait (in Yoda voice) "you will be, you will be"...Any way...The GeForce 4 Ti series does in fact use a new, more advanced processor. The GeForce 4 Mx series simply uses an "enhanced" version of the existing 2 and 3 series processors. The features of the GeForce 4 (Nview, AA...) are all the same, but the Mx simply use older technology to support those features.

So, my recomendation is this: If you can find a GeForce 4 Ti card for under 200 then go for it. If not you should only look at an Mx card if the new features (Nview...) are really important to you. Otherwise, get a nice GeForce 3 ultra.

aor
05-21-2002, 10:34 PM
thanks for the help! i'll look more on the forum!
:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.