PDA

View Full Version : Apply lighting pass

TTYO
02-09-2010, 02:54 AM
I was wondering how apply a lighting pass in a compositing software like say AFX or photoshop

I just rendered a lighting pass in 3ds max using render to texture. However I have no idea how to apply this . Is it multiply or soft light?

mister3d
02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
I was wondering how apply a lighting pass in a compositing software like say AFX or photoshop

I just rendered a lighting pass in 3ds max using render to texture. However I have no idea how to apply this . Is it multiply or soft light?
Perhaps hard light, but I'm not sure.

Seraph135
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
If the lighting pass is just purely the lighting information (meaning there is no diffuse texture information in it) then you multiply it over your diffuse texture.

Tim J

h2orat
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Tim nailed it as the lighting pass is purely light information. I usually don't use this pass an prefer to do a seperate key, fill, and backlight pass to mix with AO pass in my comp.

It takes longer to set up but again it's all about controlling the final image in the compin' stage.

mister3d
02-20-2010, 08:59 PM
"Add" is linear dodge in photoshop, just for information.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2010, 08:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.