PDA

View Full Version : Adobe After Effects 5.5 SDK: troubles compiling the plugins

Tommi
08-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi there!

I've got troubles compiling the sample plugin source files of the After Effects 5.5 SDK through Dev-C++, which is set to use the Mingw C++ compiler.

I do not really get an error message which makes much sense to me. Instead (no matter which plugin source file I'm trying to compile), every time the very first line with an #include statement is highlighted and the error log says something like "in file from [...path with header file]" - what does that mean?

I'd really like to get into plugin programming for After Effects, because I want to create a special problem solution - and that's not the easiest start, I guess :-/

Maybe someone can suggest me a better IDE + compiler or even better enlighten me, what I'm doing wrong. By the way, I already did set the SDK's header file folder as one of the standard folders the compiler should go through, so there ain't be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Tommi

dead_eye
08-31-2003, 05:55 AM
I've built the AAE 5.5 sample plugins just fine with Visual C++ 6. Some of the plugins require some functions from the Quicktime 6.0 SDK which can be downloaded from
http://developer.apple.com/quicktime

I've never messed with Mingw, but the Adobe website labels VC++ 6 as a requirement to build their SDK. When an SDK provider tells you you have to use a certain development environment, you usually have to stick to it because different compilers handle C++ language elements differently (*cough templates *cough). VC++ Standard Edition is pretty cheap now with .NET out and it will serve you well. If you can get your hands on it, I'll post a little tut on how to compile the files.

Tommi
08-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Thank you very much :)
I wouldn't have though, that the SDK would be that restricted. Fortunately I've got some "author edition" or whatever of Visual C++ 6 somewhere, I'll give it a try. I just didn't want to use it, yet, because I thought it would be limited in some ways :shrug:

Is there somehting like a plugin template in the SDK?

RealThing
08-31-2003, 11:37 AM
One thing that is easy to overlook is that MS VS.NET is not always compatible with SDK's made for VS6. This is due to the MFC library version. If anyone has used VS.NET with MFC 4.2 sucessfully I'd like to know the trick.

aurora
08-31-2003, 02:36 PM
If anyone has used VS.NET with MFC 4.2 sucessfully I'd like to know the trick.
I have a further question to that has anybody used VS.Net and not gone back to VS6/VC6? Umm, not trying t pull the ol MS sucks bit. I'm serious, although I know of a few companies that are using VS.Net they also use VC6 still and most programmers I know have prefered to use VC6 or .net. In fact I finally just removed by whole VS.net from my machine this past week since I never use it. Sorry alittle off target but not truely worthy of a seperate thread.

dead_eye
08-31-2003, 03:27 PM
I still use both, with VS .NET for everything except when MFC 4.2 is needed, then I'll use VS 6. But if I can find a way to manually link the MFC 4.2 dlls in .NET, and I have tried and failed :scream:, VS 6 is toast. The HTMLHelp system in VS .NET is so much nicer, there are alot of new COM interfaces and MFC classes like CHtmlEditView that weren't available in VS 6. There's just so much more stuff to play with in .NET.

RealThing: I'll ask on microsoft.public.vc.mfc if there's a way to do that because I want to know too :p. If anybody knows, I'm sure the MS MVPs do.

Tommi: Nope, no templates, just a couple sample plugins (effects). You'll still need to read the SDK PDF docs and rummage through alot of code unless your plugin idea is similar to one of the samples. Good luck :).

Tommi
08-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Hehe, thanks - I'm just reading through. I want to program a tiny solution to fix jiggery videos. A friend of mine had problems with some footages he got from a company for a cutting job. These footages contained somehow corrupted sequences, all distorted in the same and rather simple manner: the single lines of the frames aren't correctly aligned anymore, so the plugin should no more do than fixing the alignment of these lines.

besides that, I'm interested in programming plugins for that app anyway. I hope I'll be lucky, since C++ isnt' my favorite programming language...

Tommi
08-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Okay, another problem I'm currently facing - After Effects doesn't include the plugins for some reason - I copied them into the plugins folder but there's nothing new listed in effects menu... :annoyed: that's annoying...

dead_eye
08-31-2003, 08:03 PM
are the plugins you added in their own directory such as Plug-ins/My Plugins or did you just throw some them in the Plug-ins/ directory? they may have to be in subdirectories cuz it works for me :P.

Tommi
08-31-2003, 08:42 PM
If I only knew how to call these subdirectories. I created one called "User" and copied the files into it. But it doesn't work:shrug:

dead_eye
08-31-2003, 09:29 PM
This is what my stuff looks like after I built the SDK plugins and copied them into the Plug-ins folder.

http://www.rick-n-steve.com/temp/image1.jpg
http://www.rick-n-steve.com/temp/image2.jpg

As you can see the plugins show up, but you have to restart AE before they show up in the Effects windows.

Tommi
09-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks again - I haven't checked that tiny windows, yet - the new plugins do not appear in the effects menu... I fear that there is maximum limit for the amount of submenu entries..

I'm going to have a look at it...

EDIT: I don't know why, but it doesn't work. Maybe something's wrong with my system... I hate that kind of problems with no obvious reason :annoyed:

EDIT2: That's so strange, because I could see for a fraction of a second, that AE was looking through the SDK folder on startup in that splahs screen thing...
Besides that, AE asks me every time after startup, whether I want to do an online update to download some files. I've turned that feature off, so why does it want to annoy me? :shrug:

dead_eye
09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
No problem. Wow, sounds like your AE is going haywire. Possibly time to do a reinstall :p. If you have a second or third computer as I do you can try installing it on another machine too. I've had programs that work fine on one machine (damn Cakewalk Sonar) but would always crash on the others.
I also think there's another forum here, I think the Compositing one near that bottom that deals with AE. I'm no expert in it, I just use it for little things, such as putting subtitles on videos and other little things. I'd check with the experts down there too :).

Tommi
09-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Hehe, I also use Sonar (even 2.1 XL :p ), never had a problem with it.
I fear you're right about reinstalling. But not only After Effcts, my whole System appears to be totally screwed up. I've just had serious problems, could fix it somehow via Xp's starting with last known stable configuration feature...
Now it's time for backups....
And it all began, as I wanted to reinstall After Effects and didn't find the CD... really, that's not my day. I'm curious whteher I find it. Otherwise I need to go begging Adobe for a new copy of it. I hope they do that, since I'm a registered user of it. Rats... I should go to bed now:rolleyes:

RealThing
09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by dead_eye
RealThing: I'll ask on microsoft.public.vc.mfc if there's a way to do that because I want to know too :p. If anybody knows, I'm sure the MS MVPs do.

Dead_Eye any follow up on this?

dead_eye
09-03-2003, 02:16 AM
No not yet :hmm:, no replies yet to my newsgroup question. So I posted another one, as the MFC group gets alot of questions and sometimes some questions (especially the harder ones) get overlooked :scream:. I'll post back here though when I have some news :).

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.