PDA

View Full Version : Adjustment layer to affect specific layers

FreespaceFilms
02-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Is there a way to get an Adjustment layer to only affect specific layers, not all under them?
For example, just the very one under it, and ignore the ones further below.

CaptainJack1024
02-08-2010, 02:04 AM
You could precompose the one layer, then add the adjustment layer in the new comp that the layer goes in to. I'm not sure how you'd apply an adjustment layer to non-sequential layers, but that should work if the layers that need adjusting are all together.

PaulDeSilva
02-08-2010, 03:00 AM
Given your example, I'd say you could just put the effects that would be on the adjustment layer on the layer you want to effect instead. I'm assuming you're looking to affect more than one layer though. Simply, the answer is no. What CaptainJack mentioned is the only way to do this. You must pre-compose the layers and then apply your effect.

If you find yourself becoming increasingly more frustrated by this, it's probably time to migrate to something node-based.

Mylenium
02-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Is there a way to get an Adjustment layer to only affect specific layers, not all under them?

No, there's not. Pre-compose or apply the effects directly to the layer.

Mylenium

FreespaceFilms
02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. :) I'll work around it.

Would be a nice feature for future versions of AE though.

CCRider
02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I know what you mean...just like in PS where you can apply certain filters to everything underneath or just the layer directly below, it's pretty handy.
But the good news is since all the filters in AE are non-destructive, there is no reason to add that functionality.
It would most likely just create unnecessary complexity, adding more layers to manage.
If filters were applied destructively, it would be a pretty big deal.

suztv
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Is there a reason that you are using an adjustment layer to affect just one layer? Perhaps moving both down in the stack would solve it? Is the filter/effect something that cannot be applied to the layer because the layer is 3D and the effect is 2D only?

But like everyone has stated here - nope, unless you use the layer that you're affecting as a mask for the adjustment layer you'll have to pre-compose.

FreespaceFilms
02-12-2010, 11:32 PM
The reason I wanted this is because I wanted to apply a Blur effect only over a region of a smoke pass ( with a feathered mask to the adjustment layer ), without the blur affecting the background pass, of course. I've since gone around the problem by treating the smoke separately, then importing the part-blurred footage into my main composition. :thumbsup:

Fuxianer
02-13-2010, 09:04 AM
It would most likely just create unnecessary complexity, adding more layers to manage.
If filters were applied destructively, it would be a pretty big deal.

The problem lies in the fact that AE is a solely layer based application, meaning it works linear from the top to the bottom. Node based application don't have that problem as you can connect any effect to a number of elements. Would be nice to see AE adding a separate node based effect window in the future.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2010, 09:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.