PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Days bombed, state of Korea animation

melchior_
08-30-2003, 01:53 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&ncid=600&e=7&u=/nm/20030826/film_nm/film_korea_dc
$11 million to make, grossed 1.9 million to date. A mini FF:TSW
(targeted at a narrow demographic, sci-fi, lackluster story)?

oh yeah the korean dvd is coming out next week 9/04. http://www.dvd.co.kr/good_view.asp?gd=S0308260002

ed209
08-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Ahhh damn only has a region 3 release. I really wan't to see this film but unfortunatly I'm in the US.

Ryan-B
08-30-2003, 07:47 PM
The article is a very interesting view of the Korean animation industry from a Korean perspective.

Sky_DaBomB
08-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Here is the link the the English Official website:
http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/index.html

moovieboy
08-31-2003, 12:59 AM
Peter Chung, creator of MTV's popular "Aeon Flux," says discount drawing is not a formula for long-term success. He points to the rising competition around the world, especially from such countries as China and the Philippines.

"You can't keep basing your success on being cheaper," he says. "You have to make people think you're doing a better job or else you're just digging a hole for yourself."

Amen to that! I also wish American film/animation houses would stop being bargain basement shoppers myself, but that'll never happen...

-Tom

Peter Reynolds
08-31-2003, 02:17 AM
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Chung, creator of MTV's popular "Aeon Flux," says discount drawing is not a formula for long-term success. He points to the rising competition around the world, especially from such countries as China and the Philippines.

"You can't keep basing your success on being cheaper," he says. "You have to make people think you're doing a better job or else you're just digging a hole for yourself."

Originally posted by moovieboy
Amen to that! I also wish American film/animation houses would stop being bargain basement shoppers myself, but that'll never happen...

-Tom

Accountants and bean counters shouldn't play a major role in the production. They shouldn't be one of the principle guiding forces. Pixar knows this. Pixar was kept a float a long time before any major profits were to be seen. This requires people with vision, NOT tight wallets.

TheGreenGiant
08-31-2003, 02:42 AM
That is debatable Peter Reynolds.

case: Simpsons - drawn by a bazillion Filipinos and still wonderfully done, funny and great. Outsourcing it doesn't make it any worse nor does it make it any better - there is just the issue of profit sharing / cost savings and whatnot (the studios gets extremely rich..etc.. the 3rd world people do well) - the one thing about the simpsons dvd boxsets, that you NEVER get to see in the special features is a Filipino saying something like "oh I really enjoying working on the Simpsons because I can create characters that millions over the world enjoy.

* you guys are missing the CENTRAL point made in the first post.. which is...

LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY LACKLUSTRE STORY

if its good/great. Word of mouth can make any indie/non mainstream flick a hit.

CASE : Blair witch

Peter Reynolds
08-31-2003, 04:18 AM
OK green giant, we could debate it. The problem is your going to find plenty of examples from both sides. The world is not just black and white or profit and loss.

The Simpsons for the most part is an illustrated radio play. So the visuals are not as important as the writing, though the Key frames are still done in the US. The writing is still done in the US. And the ideas and gags and jokes and voice talent are NOT decisions that are left up to the bean counters.

BUT Simpsons aside. My main point was, that PIXAR as a studio would not exist if it were up to bean counters who expected a return in a matter of months rather than years.

I'm glad studios like PIXAR and Aardman for the most part don't contract out. But if you think that's a mistake, by all means put on a suit and go and study accountancy, and then try and make everyone else's life miserable.

BTW, I think most people here are well aware of the importance of story. But thanks for pointing it out so clearly GG, we would NEVER have guessed.

Tell me about the word of mouth for Iron Giant?

I know what you're trying to say, and I agree, is some cases a low cost strategy is important. But there is also a lot of innovation and progress that would never occur if the main focus was always on keeping costs down.

Leave the low cost arguement for the accountants, there's enough of them to defend themsleves.

Get on with creating.

TheGreenGiant
08-31-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Peter Reynolds
Tell me about the word of mouth for Iron Giant?

umm. it was a great movie. Go buy it on dvd if you haven't already seen it. The scene in the junkyard where the Giant had to pretend to be a sculture was great. Harry Connick Junior was a great voice actor too. :scream:

I would never side with an accountant over a creative type. ;) Yes. get on with it.

FloydBishop
08-31-2003, 04:41 AM
I would guess that there is more "American" animation produced in Korea than there is Korean.

monotypic
08-31-2003, 02:41 PM
just a note... that while the article did bash korean creativity.. they didn't specificlly say this was a bad story. just that it was a story marketed at the wrong audience.

of course in all fairness... i probibly wouldn't belive this was truely a bad movie if the creaters themselves showed up at my door and told me it sucked.

i fell in love with this movie 3 years ago and untill i see it i will still believe in wonderful days.

SheepFactory
08-31-2003, 05:33 PM
So when will we get to see this movie in the states?

I should go check out chinatown to see if they have the dvd , i''ll let you guys know if they do.

elfufu
08-31-2003, 07:11 PM
thats a shame movie looked really amazing

Vladvrz
09-01-2003, 09:45 AM
I expected quite a good thing from this movie.Perhaps it will still show profit once DVd comes and it goes more worldwide?:)

Larry_g1s
09-01-2003, 08:52 PM
hmm...that's too bad. I thought the movie looked cool. :shrug:

I'll still be checking it out.

amygdalae
09-02-2003, 02:33 AM

Never mind that Peter Chung has outsourced for almost his entire career to Korean studios...

heavyness
09-02-2003, 05:40 AM
i think Vladvrz is right since more people buy anime on DVD and never get to see it in the theaters. personally, i'm going to buy it ASAP just because its such a great mix 2d, 3d, and other medias.

but, not doing good in it's home country isn't a great sign. time will tell.

Peter Reynolds
09-02-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by kole
not doing good in it's home country isn't a great sign. time will tell.

You're right, it isn't a good sign.

But there is hope... there have been more than a few GREAT films that did very poor box office.

F. Hultqvist
09-02-2003, 05:10 PM
That's a shame that it bombed, after watching the trailer just now, it looked like an interesting film.

Wanggo
09-02-2003, 05:50 PM
This movie only cost $11 million? Didn't 3 seconds of Final Fantasy: TSW cost around that price?? Its really too bad this movie bombed. It looks pretty cool. I'll buy the DVD if they ever sell it here in the states.

mindstate7
09-02-2003, 06:10 PM
I still cant wait to buy this movie. I want to see it so bad. Remember that some critics suck and only when you see it for yourself will you decide how it is.

Besides, AKIRA did horrible in box office and has become and epic of eastern animation.

Mabye this is just the beginning of another epic that was grossly underplayed in theaters. I bet once USA gets its hands on it, popularity will explode...

toodles:beer:

cityhunter
09-03-2003, 06:29 AM
I want this dvd when it comes. Any idea how to get their hands on it?

BigErn
09-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Released in 2 day! Region 3 but don`t let that stop ya! just get a region free DVD player or something! :banghead:

:deal: http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002870671/did-0/code-k/section-anime/

Neil
09-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Are other countries as absolutely obsessed with DVDs as we Americans are?

I go to Best Buy and i see people just cleaning off the shelves. It's really odd to see a mother with 2 children totally ignoring them, while she walks around with a pile of 6 DVDs in her arms.

wgreenlee1
09-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Are other countries as absolutely obsessed with DVDs as we Americans are?

I go to Best Buy and i see people just cleaning off the shelves. It's really odd to see a mother with 2 children totally ignoring them, while she walks around with a pile of 6 DVDs in her arms.

Thats a rather crass thing to say...do you mean to say that your mother did not put you down from her arms for even a minute while she shopped when you were young?
I guess not huh?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.